X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darren Lewis
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.6.x

Too many forums?

I always knew vbulletin could support hunderds of forums, and subforums, but this site has to have the most I've ever seen!
  • tgillespie
    • Dec 2002
    • 3.7.x

That is definately the most I've ever seen. I've been to a few car sites that have a lot, but that has the most. Seems like they took a little to much time setting it up and not enough time getting members

To much text.
    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

<scratches head>

Its a new forum, vBulletin can support as many forums as you thorw at it with the limitations of PHP & MySQL

Threads: 58, Posts: 60, Members: 21

58 threads and 60 posts, :/ low count, hopefully thoughs forums will pickup in activity.

Comment

• Marco
        • Nov 2000
        • 3.8.x

People must be getting overwhelmed by the huge amount of forums...

Comment

• Andrew111888
          • Mar 2003

They have 550 forums.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

A few days ago I had a support ticket for a site with 2481 forums. It's working fine for him.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• conqsoft
              • Jul 2003
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              A few days ago I had a support ticket for a site with 2481 forums. It's working fine for him.
              vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• MGM
                • Aug 2002
                • 3.6.x

what?! I would love to see that....

MGM out

Comment

• Tailfeathers
                  • Jun 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Me too...wow!
                  Photography :: Bird Information and Help

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

He was using categories, sub-forums, sub-forum of sub-forums, etc. The only problem he was having was with the Forum Manager. He had it set to load all the forums in the Forum Manager and obviously the browser had a difficult time loading this. I changed the display option to 'collapsible' and all was well.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Admiral Spock
                      • Jun 2004

Wow...

And I thought 86 forums were enough

Comment

• KimmiKat
                        • Jul 2003

One word... Wow!

Any I worry about having too many forums.

Kim

Comment

• Xiaopangzi
                          • Sep 2004

Forum Manager limitation in displaying uncorrupted forum table longer than 1080 rows

Originally posted by Zachery
                          vBulletin can support as many forums as you throw at it with the limitations of PHP & MySQL
                          I keep reaching the 1,080 forum barrier beyond which I seem unable to progress without the admincp Forum Manager malfunctioning in the Collapsible view mode, which is the only reasonable option of the three available when you have a large hierarchy of forums.

Steve is currently working on the problem to see how I can continue structuring my site before I open it to others. If 2,481 is possible for one administrator, it should also be possible for my site as well. I've deleted forums but am only able to add more up to the apparent 1,080 limit. Is it possible that Yahoo! Web Hosting, which is known to have somewhat crippled implementations of PHP and/or MySQL could be the culprit? It would be an easy scapegoat to say so, but I'd like to know the true cause.

The Entertainment Forum is obviously far from completion as a casual observer may easily guess. You can probably recognize that the number of subforums that need to be created under the currently existing 1,078 forums may number several thousand. Nevertheless, I think the structure is very easy to navigate and should remain within six nested levels, which I think is reasonable. As I mentioned to Steve, a theoretical 5 by 5 structure would result in 3,125 forums, which sounds like a lot but doesn't look like many when you have only one level of subforums visible at a time. It is far lower number than the number of folders on a typical computer hard disk, which typically goes deeper than that five or six nested folders level.

I hope Steve will be able to quickly identify the problem with Forum Manager that is preventing me from adding forums beyond the 1,080 level. My "forum" table in the database has not been corrupted and it should theoretically be able to handle far more than just 1,080 rows. I can add them with phpMyAdmin with all the correct values (options, parentid, parentlist, childids, childlist, etc.), but Forum Manager displays the additional forums incorrectly under the wrong parents (more accurately, orphaned from the parents and incorrectly stranded at the bottom of the Forum Manager collapsible view table in admincp).

Comment

• Erwin
                            • Jan 2002

When starting out, it's probably best to work on a minimal amount of forums, and then keep dividing them as they get busier - a type of mitosis so to speak. My forums started with about 8, and in 3 years have expanded to over 400.

Comment

• UHN_ED
                              • Jan 2003

Xiao, you should try to start with about 5 forums and build from there.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...