• Adam001
    • Sep 2005

Can you Blame them for using VB ?

Comment

• welo
      • Sep 2003
      • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Originally posted by Mikes33Ponce
      Thanks for the comments. Does anyone know exactly what is the deal with the Mambo team and OpenSourceMatters.com?
      Quick injection here for those who are keeping track: The Mambo split has caused its core developers to repackage it and continue development as the Joomla! CMS.

The vBridge integration is here.

Am quietly checking out Drupal though. That one looks like it has possibilities.
      "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
      It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

• boiboi
        • May 2001

Why would you keep 2 identical user tables on your db? What if you have 35,000 users? That's times 2.

That vbridge requires merging your vb and joomla/mambo database but maintains two separate user database.

I wonder why they can't just do it like Drupal or Photopost. Drupal and Photopost keeps separate db but uses vbulletin's user table to authenticate. Both can even use Vb session, groups, and even theme without any code changes to vBulletin.

Comment

• Hooper
          • Apr 2001
          • 3.5.x

These are all hacks. All pretty much require you to hack your code. However, some do merge userbases and allow for article/content commenting/feedback in the forums. I have my preferences do to the bridges posting either part, or the entire content to specified forums. This gives better control over permissions.

I prefer this to 3PD commenting components.
          Last edited by Hooper; Thu 3 Nov '05, 1:50am.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.5.x

Alot of awesome games use it, vBulliten is great!

Comment

• welo
              • Sep 2003
              • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Originally posted by boiboi
              Why would you keep 2 identical user tables on your db? What if you have 35,000 users? That's times 2.
              So what happens if you want to extract VB from this thing later or vice-versa? Any plans for doing that with a merged user database? 35,000 users is basically nothing in terms of data storage. All the heavy content is in the _post table (unless you store attachments in the db).

Comment

• boiboi
                • May 2001

Originally posted by welo
                So what happens if you want to extract VB from this thing later or vice-versa? Any plans for doing that with a merged user database? 35,000 users is basically nothing in terms of data storage. All the heavy content is in the _post table (unless you store attachments in the db).
                Good point. I've changed CMS but never my forum, which I consider to be the heart of my online community. For others, vb is a mere add-on to their mambo or joomla. For me, it's the other way around. Other scripts get added or deleted, but my vb db remains intact.
                Last edited by boiboi; Fri 4 Nov '05, 3:40pm.

Comment

• welo
                  • Sep 2003
                  • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

All I know is, while it's nice to be loyal to your forum software it's always good to have a backup plan. I was an IPB die-hard right up until they screwed me and their entire potential client base during IPB2 (and yes, I was one of the original paying clients). Not projecting that VB would ever do this, but people having moved on around here is not uncommon.

Besides, if memory serves me correctly, vBridge for Joomla now supports the ability to use separate databases for the CMS and VB. How would you manage that while avoiding substantial file hacking without mirroring the user table?

While I'm at it though, another scenario where this could come in handy is if you wanted to create a new site (Product-based? Articles?) which contained no forum but still needed an immediate userbase. In which case you could simply setup a new CMS with your existing memberlist.

All in all, I think I'm able to come up with a lot more reasons to maintain a mirrored user table than not. It's simply good foresight. Will be interesting to see if the VB CMS affords this ability.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...