12 minutes after opening -- 500 people online

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sabret00the
    • Jan 2003

very interesting thread, thanks for everyones participation, personally i can't wait to upgrade to vb3, the only thing i'm missing is a quiz script to automate most of the services my users enjoy.

Comment

• looknow12
      • Sep 2003
      • 3.0.0 Beta 6

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Kind of helps that he has been in the news the last few days. Just expanded his show to 9 cities, including several markets that had kicked him out in the past and said "You will never work in this town again".

Maybe I should drop them an email and go visit the data center since the site is hosted in Los Angeles.
      He's actually in about 50 markets now. The last 9 cities were was just re-added.

Comment

• Martz
        • Apr 2001

I have read about solutions from people who have prepared their site for a slashdotting, arguable one of the most demanding moments of a web site. Expecting 40-80,000 people hitting your web site within the space of a few minutes certainly puts huge strains on any web site.

To counter this, the solution for dynamic content powered (CMS-style) sites seems to be to put Squid-cache infront of the web servers.

[Squid-cache server/cluster] <-> [ Apache server/cluster ] <-> [ mySQL database/cluster ]

Places like wikipedia.org (server specifications) have the same sorts of problems. They are dealing with a similar situation of thousands of people concurrently online.

By using a reverse-cache infront of the web servers, a good percentage of unchanged pages should not have to be regenerated, following that the cache doesn't generate queries which cause mysql load.
        HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
        -
        Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

• Dave#
          • Jul 2000

My milage has varied somewhat with squid and VB, people kept getting old pages.

In fact we don't even reccommend using squid at all anymore but using Apache2 and Worker MPM on blade servers even for CDN's as the performance is so good.
          http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• looknow12
            • Sep 2003
            • 3.0.0 Beta 6

Windows Servers

I don't think I've heard Windows Servers mentioned anywhere in this post. Is it safe to assume that Windows IIS, and MYSQL running on Windows cannot compete for this type of high volume?

If so, is there a benchmark that shows how far it is off for Web(IIS/PHP), and then again for Data (mySql)

Thanks,

Comment

• chrispadfield
              • Aug 2000

It would seem to me that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memcached would be the more useful performance improver mentioned in that wikipedia article when related to vbulletin. Not sure squd is so useful, there are very few undynamic pages in vbulletin.
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk
              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• vBMechanic
                • Jan 2004
                • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Update... new hardware is in place: a dozen web servers on a load balancer all hitting a Sun enterprise server running mySQL. Currently supporting 3,300 online at the moment with 25,000+ posts per day. About 6,000 members signed up today in the few hours registration has been open.

Comment

• _| () R | Z
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by vBMechanic
                  Update... new hardware is in place: a dozen web servers on a load balancer all hitting a Sun enterprise server running mySQL. Currently supporting 3,300 online at the moment with 25,000+ posts per day. About 6,000 members signed up today in the few hours registration has been open.
                  wouldnt suprise me if that would be the biggest vbulletin board ever within a year or even sooner

btw, who is he anyway?
                  Last edited by _| () R | Z; Thu 22 Jul '04, 8:21am.
                  Originally Posted by Zachery
                  John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
                  We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by _| () R | Z
                    btw, who is he anyway?
                    A controversial morning disk jockey with the largest listening audience in the United States. The markets he plays in which include all major cities in the US easily cover over 100 million people if not more. He also has a biography called "Private Parts" which was made into a movie.

Personally, I enjoy the "Mark & Brian" show but will listen to Howard if I am somewhere they are not available at.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• HexOnxOnx
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 3.7.x

We haven't had Stern on a radio station here in Denver in years. Ever since he made the Controversial "Columbine" ramarks, people wanted him gone. A year or two later he was gone when the station that carried him changed formats. I wouldn't say he was a disk jockey, he was a talk show host. It seemed that everytime I turned on his show on tv he had some women standing before him nude and he would be commenting on her nakedness.
                      http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

• Raz Meister
                        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                        It would seem to me that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memcached would be the more useful performance improver mentioned in that wikipedia article when related to vbulletin. Not sure squd is so useful, there are very few undynamic pages in vbulletin.
                        Looks very similar to the MySQL 4.x cache...
                        Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

Guys?
                          I am so totally impressed by those numbers! Howard Stern is like seriously the coolest!

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by vBMechanic
                            oooooooooh server hardware specs please ... drools j/k
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• peterpaine
                              • Aug 2004

Expected performance???

Im thinking about using vBulletin for a new site.
                              Im concerned about concurrent user counts.

Question#1 -

Can someone give me a rough range of how many concurrent users a single PC running Win2K,vBulletin,apache,mysql could handle with the following specs:

1) 2.0 ghz P4
                              2) 1 gig ram
                              3) 3 vanilla 7200 rpm SATA 80 gig drives

Im just looking for ballpark figures to get an idea for a baseline.

Question #2 - im not familiar with php/vBulletin, but can it do database connection pooling like a 3 tier java J2EE environment, or is a new connection made to the mySQL database every time someone queries or posts a message, and then closes the connection??? In other words, are persistent database connections maintained and re-used while the app is running? Or is this a stateless architecture?

Comment

• Martz
                                • Apr 2001

Originally posted by peterpaine
                                Question #2 - im not familiar with php/vBulletin, but can it do database connection pooling like a 3 tier java J2EE environment, or is a new connection made to the mySQL database every time someone queries or posts a message, and then closes the connection??? In other words, are persistent database connections maintained and re-used while the app is running? Or is this a stateless architecture?
                                That is down to your configuration.

From includes/config.php

// ****** PERSISTENT CONNECTIONS ******
                                // This option allows you to turn persistent connections to MySQL on or off.
                                // The difference in performance is negligible for all but the largest boards.
                                // If you are unsure what this should be, leave it off.
                                // 0 = Off; 1 = On
                                $usepconnect = 0;
                                HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                                -
                                Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...