Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave#
    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by vBMechanic
    Having upgraded a few dozen sites, I would say this is incorrect.
    are we talking bigger boards - 1M posts, 500+ online or smaller boards?
    http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Dave#
      I have noticed increased performance on active sites with 1000+ online users and over millions of posts and 100.000+ members.

Comment

• chrispadfield
        • Aug 2000

Dave, I am not the best one to answer that; but there seem to be much bigger forums around now then there where in just the vb2 days. Even if the performance was the same, you would need efficiency improvements in vb3 because vb3 has more features. Adding new features but not requiring more server resources per online user is clearly pretty impressive in itself; but I am under the impression that vb3 is even more efficient; I certainly know the developers put an awful lot of effort into insuring large forums work as efficiently as possible.
        Christopher Padfield
        Web Based Helpdesk
        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Dave#
          • Jul 2000

I'm sure your right Chris however I do seem to be seeing quite a few people with issues with big boards and a few of the more 'clued up' members of VB team seem to be suggesting that the next release addresses some of these issues.

Comment

• chrispadfield
            • Aug 2000

Oh of course, performance can always be improved. As I understand it one of the issues is the forumcache which is a pretty large lump of data loaded on every page. At the end of the day there comes a limit as to what the vb team can do, when you start having thousands or tens of thousands of users using an intensive dynamic product you are going to need multiple servers; part of this is going to fallback on mySQL to get clustering working well (or vb supporting other databases sometime) - of course major improvements can always be made to the code and I know the vb team will continue to do this.

But forums are one of the hardest applications to develop to be very efficient IMHO. The problem is that everyone has access to most of the data, you can't seperate bits of it out; you can't seperate read/writes very easily because the writes need to update instantly. Its not like say a shopping system where you can have a mySQL server that handles the writes and lots that handle reads; or again seperate out a certain types of writes (e.g. what amazon uses to create your last viewed pages and recommendations will be independant from the main catalouge). Forums require efficient reads and writes in real time; this is what makes it a hard type of application to develop under huge load.
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • May 2000
              • 1.1.x

Dave, we are always looking at ways to increase performace and I would become worried if we ever said, "we've made her as efficient as we can".

Comment

• _| () R | Z
                • Oct 2002

so are you guys going to help them out with the problems?
                Originally Posted by Zachery
                John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
                We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                  • Dec 2000

Well they could try 3.0.3 with the fulltext search and if they could get a little mail server they could use the SMTP code.

This would reduce locking of postindex / word and get rid of mail causing load spikes.

A few added indexes should also reduce the amount of data scanned. The problem is generally not SQL now we need to try and to make improvements in the code, also regarding Invision using Oracle / MSSQL they just use standard queries and none of the advanced features. Foreign Keys and Stored Procedures so they might as well use MySQL with InnoDB.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• vBMechanic
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

They simply did not have the hardware in place for the flood of users that came in. It is supposedly a 'fan base' of 50 million people with 8 million listening daily.. anyone want to guess on the number of servers required? hehe

Both. I did one last week with 900k posts and 300-700 online depending on the season and vB3 is an improvement all around. I've worked with some very large vB2 boards and the only way they would function is through lots of hacking and manual caching routines. I've seen quite a few large vB2s that have search permanently disabled to save on resources.

Comment

• Dave#
                      • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
                      Dave, we are always looking at ways to increase performace and I would become worried if we ever said, "we've made her as efficient as we can".
                      That's fair enough Freddie.

To ask my question another way is VB3 less efficent than VB2 albeit with increased functionality?

Comment

• Raz Meister
                        • Jun 2001

Yup, I've gotten that impression aswell, which is the exact reason we haven't upgraded to vB3.

Like the saying goes - if it ain't broke, why fix it?
                        Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

To ask my question another way is VB3 less efficent than VB2 albeit with increased functionality?
                          No... However it does use more memory than vB2. This is counterbalanced with less queries (i.e. 8 queries on the front page instead of the 14 in vBulletin 2.X series) and more optimized queries.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                            • Dec 2000

The problem is that vB2 was far too intensive on the MySQL side and moderate on the PHP side.

vB3 is far easier on the database server now but the webserver takes more of a hammering with memory and slightly more on processing time, its the language system and permissions with multiple usergroups.

We've got a thread in the dev lounge about optimizations and a meeting is planned this week to see what we can do to improve it more.
                            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• _| () R | Z
                              • Oct 2002

what did they use? vb2?
                              Originally Posted by Zachery
                              John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
                              We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

• chrispadfield
                                • Aug 2000

Installing a PHP accelerator will also help a lot with the memory issue, because the PHP script is pre-parsed meaning the system dosen't need to evaluate the script for every page view. Zend Accelerator or php accelerator will help a lot here.
                                Christopher Padfield
                                Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...