• Show
Clear All
  • George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    From his site when you click the bulletin board link now:
    howly cow they do need a cluster of better servers but 140k visitors flooding the forums would just on web server end be crazy!

to give you an idea one forum I know as 70+ million posts and 1+ million threads and 550+ k members and 7000+ users online and they needed 40+ dedicated dual cpu servers distributing the load for web server, mail, images, mysql database and dedicated memory caching servers for segments of their forum's mysql database

Most of the database servers were upgraded to dual AMD Opteron 242-244s cpus with 4-8GB ram as they really blaze along for mysql related tasks
    Last edited by George L; Sat 3 Jul '04, 8:45pm.
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Jake Bunce
      • Dec 2000
      • 3.6.x

geez, he got up to 40,000 concurrent users.

Comment

• tgillespie
        • Dec 2002
        • 3.7.x

Howard Stern's forums.

The next best invention since the light bulb Anyone care to explain why everyone is freaking out to get on his message boards? I watched Private Parts (IRCC) and didn't seem like the guy was that extremely cool.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
          geez, he got up to 40,000 concurrent users.

lol at the smiley
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Hes just a crazy shock jock, altho i do have alot of respect for him, my dad likes him alot.

He was the first to go agasint what the rules said on national raido.

Comment

• George L
              Former vBulletin Support
              • May 2000
              • 3.8.x

maybe 2 or 3 very nice Quad AMD Opteron 800s cpu servers for mysql database using emicnetworks.com's Mysql application clustering technology for the mysql database end

then using emicnetworks.com's Apache application clustering technology for a cluster of dual p4 xeon scsi web servers for Apache side

basically www.emicnetworks.com allows you to cluster a bunch of apache servers to act as one web server and to cluster a bunch of mysql servers to spread each mysql table for 1 database over a number of physical servers but they all act as 1 mysql server.. well that's how i understand it

Comment

• pinfo
                • Jun 2004

Concerning turning off email notification, you may want to read this (the whole thread, as the total solution is figured out in bits and pieces at a time) : http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108788

Doing all of those steps makes it so the users can only choose "no email nofication".

Comment

• DerekO
                  • Jul 2004

Ahem.....

Rather than throw 50 servers at MySQL which can't scale too well, why not buy a few nice oracle servers and use oracle - heck even MSSQL would be better.

Oh, vB can't use MSSQL or Oracle - but I know a forum system that can (and isn't phpBB 2)

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                    • Sep 2001

wow -- just wow.
                    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• chrispadfield
                      • Aug 2000

Those specs must be a lot to do with the 70 million posts and not the number of online users (of course they play together). It should be easier here because the database is next to zero, it is just concurrent users that is the current issue.

DerekO

Got a link to a big site using phpbb using oracle or mSQL? Or any other mysql/php forum that uses an alternative database and has a few million posts. Would love to see it.
                      Christopher Padfield
                      Web Based Helpdesk
                      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• DerekO
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                        Those specs must be a lot to do with the 70 million posts and not the number of online users (of course they play together). It should be easier here because the database is next to zero, it is just concurrent users that is the current issue.

DerekO

Got a link to a big site using phpbb using oracle or mSQL? Or any other mysql/php forum that uses an alternative database and has a few million posts. Would love to see it.
                        Invision Power Board

Comment

• Dave#
                          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by DerekO
                          I didn't know they supported Oracle, very nice
                          http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• chrispadfield
                            • Aug 2000

I am impressed that they support oracle and other databases; but are the links you give using those databases? If so, then yup, good work. Its very easy "supporting" another database but doing it well is a lot harder. vBulletin uses a whole host of improvements that work on mySQL only, ie using the features of mySQL to get as much performance as possible. To convert to another database system requires a lot of work to use that database system's performance benefits. A simple database abstraction layer would be easy if we were not trying to maximise performance from each database system we use.
                            Christopher Padfield
                            Web Based Helpdesk
                            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Dave#
                              • Jul 2000

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                              I am impressed that they support oracle and other databases; but are the links you give using those databases? If so, then yup, good work. Its very easy "supporting" another database but doing it well is a lot harder. vBulletin uses a whole host of improvements that work on mySQL only, ie using the features of mySQL to get as much performance as possible. To convert to another database system requires a lot of work to use that database system's performance benefits. A simple database abstraction layer would be easy if we were not trying to maximise performance from each database system we use.
                              My impression is that many people running VB3 on bigger boards are seeing worse performance than VB2.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wide of the mark
                              Last edited by Dave#; Mon 5 Jul '04, 6:50am.
                              http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• vBMechanic
                                • Jan 2004
                                • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Originally posted by Dave#
                                My impression is that many people running VB3 on bigber boards are seeing worse performance than VB2
                                Having upgraded a few dozen sites, I would say this is incorrect.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...