Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimF
    • May 2000

Radar Detectors

My first Radar Detector was a BEL, it was okay, it worked fairly well. Then I bought a low end Whistler, and it was 100x better than the Bel in terms of false alarms, range, etc. Then the Whistler got stolen .

I've been detector-less since July, and I'm about to drive to FL from NJ, so I figured now would be a good time to buy another one.

Does anyone have any experiences they could pass on? I don't want another Bel, I like Whistler, but I've never tried any of the others. Any advice?

-jim
  • nadine
    • Nov 2000

Experience....doing 95 through Ohio is not a good idea.
    I wish we had a radar detector for our trip.

Comment

• JimF
      • May 2000

Duly noted, I'll be sure to avoid Ohio at all costs.

-jim

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

Not that's it on the way from FL to NJ, but the whole state of Indiana is one big speed trap. Actually I haven't found OH to be too bad in terms of cops on the interstates...although I live here, which might have something to do with it.

I need a radar detector too.

Comment

• nadine
          • Nov 2000

Georgia is another one to be careful of. The stupid thing is I had access to a radar detector and completely forgot to take the thing. Couldn't tell you what kind it is, though.

Another thing learned from experience...if it takes more then 8 hours, I'll fly!

Comment

• JimF
            • May 2000

Thanks, I'll avoid Indiana, too .

-jim

Comment

• Kathy
              • May 2000
              • 3.8.x

hmmmmmmm
              Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• JimF
                • May 2000

Georgia, unfortunatly, I can't avoid. I'll just be sure to go slow . Actually, there's an awesome BBQ restaraunt right at the exit for Brunswick of off Rt. 95 called "The Georgia Pig" if you ever get the chance, you MUST stop there! I may even go off my diet to eat there .

-jim

Comment

• nadine
                  • Nov 2000

Well, I missed my chance this past trip. But then considering all I did eat while in Florida (Disney), I don't think I missed out too much. I think we ate every 3 hours or so. I am sooo thankful I never have to diet!

Comment

• MattR
                    • Jun 2000

I drive I-71 from Cincy to Columbus (and vice versa) on an almost monthly basis. It's pretty free of troopers and I can keep the cruise at 85 and say in the flow of traffic (people go FAST on 71 on clear sunny days! ). I've never received a ticket traveling at 73MPH past cops. Maybe that's the sweet spot?

If you somehow get lost and wind up in Cincinnati look me up!
                    Matt
                    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
                    Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

• Parker Trasborg
                      • Dec 2000

Well nobody has answered your question I will though.

Get a Cobra Detector they work good.

Comment

• JimF
                        • May 2000

Matt, I'm on my way to Spring Training, so there's no way in Hell I'd end up in OH, but if I somehow do, I'll be sure to look you up .

Parker, thanks for actually answering my question . But I went with another Whistler. I like it so far. On another board I posted this on, someone suggested a Valentine1, but I don't have $400 to plop down on a detector, otherwise I'd be flying to FL, and I wouldn't have to worry about it .

-jim

Comment

• Parker Trasborg
                          • Dec 2000

If you are referring to the Cobra for 400 bucks I know where you could get it for 60. Although you said you purchased one already.

Comment

• MattR
                            • Jun 2000

Originally posted by JimF
                            Matt, I'm on my way to Spring Training, so there's no way in Hell I'd end up in OH, but if I somehow do, I'll be sure to look you up .

Parker, thanks for actually answering my question . But I went with another Whistler. I like it so far. On another board I posted this on, someone suggested a Valentine1, but I don't have $400 to plop down on a detector, otherwise I'd be flying to FL, and I wouldn't have to worry about it .

-jim
                            Just if you happen to wander off and end up in OH.
                            Matt
                            Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
                            Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...