X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anjam
    • Jul 2002

Apple Mac Laptops

Okay i guess this has been talked about several times but heres the thing:

I have a laptop at the moment and its a good 3 or so years old. Im wanting to get a new machine and prefably a laptop. I was looking around and the vaio ones cost quite a bit and then i bumped into some apple ones. I was looking at the vaios because they look pretty good but there nothing in comparision the apple machines.

I am just about to finish school in a few weeks and am then going to university. I will be using the machine for the following things:

Surfing the net
    email
    watching movies
    photoshop
    Office tools etc

My question to you is do you think a mac will suit my needs bearing in mind i have never used a mac before in my life but am a fast and willing learner.

What do you think to this one: http://www.apple.com/uk/ibook/ - seems to fit my requirements and around my budget. I am not sure if i should go for the 12in or 14in. Any opinions?

Many Thanks

Anjam
  • anjam
    • Jul 2002

Does anyone know what the main diffrences are between the ibook and powerbook?

Comment

• TheAnt06
      • Nov 2003
      • 3.0.0 'Gold'

As it currently stands, the only difference between an iBook and Powerbook is the case. :P

I suggest you get the 14" screen. I use a 12" Powerbook and I have to A/V out it to my TV to do photoshop work. As well, it's quite easy to switch from PC to mac. It took me under a week to figure out how to do everything correctly on a mac. You just gotta be sure to learn how to use Terminal, the equivalent to a Windows Command Prompt, since it'll come in handy from time to time.

Comment

• anjam
        • Jul 2002

Ah right thanks for the reply. One week sounds good for the transition. Put it this way, im an 18yr old guy finishing school and going to uni. I want something to store my pictures of friends, mp3s from itunes etc and do the occasional piece of work lol. Also some work in photoshop. Will an ibook do the job or should i go for the powerbook

Comment

• Ksilebo
          • May 2001

The PowerBooks have faster processors, standard Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme (802.11g), the option for backlit keyboards, Firewire 800, Gigabit LAN, and aluminum casing. I would go with the 12" PowerBook over the iBook if you can save up the additional cash. Also, you can get an educational discount being a student, so you might want to look into that.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
          http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

• filburt1
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by anjam
            Surfing the net
            email
            watching movies
            photoshop
            Office tools etc
            For those, you certainly don't need to pay the premium for an Apple machine. I would recommend some Centrino substitute (integrated wireless and longer battery life).

I had an iBook G3 600 MHz that fell apart over the course of 1.5 years of slightly-more-than-normal (literally) use. I replaced it with a Fujitsu B2620 ultraportable.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• anjam
              • Jul 2002

I am not sure if i actually need the powerbook and not sure if i can finance it at the moment

Comment

• Lacrosse Boy
                • Jan 2003

I've been saving up for the past year now. I have enough money for the iBook 14". Next year I am going to Hamline University, and the iBook should be useful. If I happen to run into a lot of money in the next few months, I hope I'll have enough for the Powerbook (not the 12" inch screen though--I could never work on one of those).
                | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
                |
                Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

• anjam
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Lacrosse Boy
                  I've been saving up for the past year now. I have enough money for the iBook 14". Next year I am going to Hamline University, and the iBook should be useful. If I happen to run into a lot of money in the next few months, I hope I'll have enough for the Powerbook (not the 12" inch screen though--I could never work on one of those).
                  So you going for the ibook or powerbook and is there much diffrence?

Comment

• anjam
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by filburt1
                    For those, you certainly don't need to pay the premium for an Apple machine. I would recommend some Centrino substitute (integrated wireless and longer battery life).

I had an iBook G3 600 MHz that fell apart over the course of 1.5 years of slightly-more-than-normal (literally) use. I replaced it with a Fujitsu B2620 ultraportable.
                    Fell apart How come? Poor quality build u think?

Comment

• TheAnt06
                      • Nov 2003
                      • 3.0.0 'Gold'

The old models of iBooks were crappy quality.

Comment

• daemon
                        • Jun 2003
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by TheAnt06
                        The old models of iBooks were crappy quality.
                        Actually, my iBook is 3 years old and it's lasted fine. But, Mac OS X 10.3 really slowed it down, so I installed Yellow Dog linux.
                        Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• filburt1
                          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by anjam
                          Fell apart How come? Poor quality build u think?

Once I sold it on eBay, a lot of people were in the process of arranging a class action lawsuit against Apple because of it. Apple seems to have settled (legally or otherwise) by offering a replacement program for some iBooks, but it was enough to make me get a PC laptop instead.
                          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...