X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prodimysterio
    • May 2004

VBulletin Questions

Hi all,

I figured I would make my first thread here a good one, so I have a few questions in regards to VBulletin. I am toying around with the possibility of starting up my own forum site, and VBulletin seems to be a great package to work with. Here is where my concerns come in. I have never managed a forum site, and I have absolutely zero PHP experience. Will this seriously hinder my ability to set up a "functional" forum without all of the glitz and glamour? Any help the community here could provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Prod

Newbies may find the admin cp a bit overwellming until they get the hang of it, but help is always just a post away.

You may want to consider opening a admin demo, so you can try the software for yourself.

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Hi there,

No real knowledge is required in order to get the software up and running.
      We have a professional team that can help with each step when you are stuck, and a on-line manual with clear installation steps.

Basicly when you purchase the software you get access to the Member Area from where you can download a .zip file. You unpack this on your computer like any other .zip file and start reading the installation instructions. They will tell you to update 1 config.php file with the details of the MySQL database - the on-line manual explains these settings step by step. Then you can upload all the files with FTP and when that is done you goto your browser and point it to the install.php file. vBulletin will get installed with clear on-screen instructions. All you have to do is click 'next' until it is done. After which you can login, and have a instant on-line community. Now it is a matter of adding the forums you want to have and allowing users to register and post!

It sounds like a lot of work at first, but it really is just, get the .zip, let it know what database to use and start installing and you are done.

You don't have to write PHP or HTML code. Changing the colors or fonts is very easy through the control panel, and this control panel is fully explained in the on-line manual.

Comment

• Prodimysterio
        • May 2004

That does not sound bad at all Floris. So, I take it all of the php files and the MySQL DB will all be uploaded to my webspace via FTP?

Prod

UPDATE: Nevermind, I just read your post again. LOL

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

The MySQL database is a service your hosting provider must offer. They either give you permission to make a new database, or give you the details when the account was created.

The PHP files are indeed the files you upload. They are in the .zip file in the / upload / folder (so quite easy to see should be uploaded and what not).

Also, if you are unsure about the installation we have as additional service a professional first time installation service which can be selected during the purchase.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...