A little help with a virus.. experts, step inside :)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJRoppolo
    • Aug 2001

A little help with a virus.. experts, step inside :)

I run AVG virus protection, which is updated every few days. I've had good luck with it for a LONG time, until now. It keeps popping up this message:

As you can see, the actual AVG software is telling me it found that virus, and to run the check to clean it. Upon running the full check of my entire HDD, it finds nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

Well this is what I would do but I can't be held responsible if your computer gets messed up. The virus has infected system restore files like most viruses do these days so that if you try and restore your system to a previous date you still have it. I had a similar problem and investigated. What I did was disable system restore, reboot in safe mode and do another scan with AVG. It should clear everything up for you
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Or simply delete that restore point in safe mode and then run your anti-virus again.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• P.Jackson
        • Dec 2002
        • 3.8.x

norton seem the best for me

Comment

• Dean C
          • Mar 2002
          • 3.5.x

Whilst norton is good, i've found it to be useless. I now use a combination of norton, AVG Free, zone alarm firewall, pest patrol, ad-aware + ad-watch, spybot search and destroy, spysweeper and a few other tiny little applications Mind you I installed all this after I got infected (when norton did let me down).

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dean C
            Whilst norton is good, i've found it to be useless. I now use a combination of norton, AVG Free, zone alarm firewall, pest patrol, ad-aware + ad-watch, spybot search and destroy, spysweeper and a few other tiny little applications Mind you I installed all this after I got infected (when norton did let me down).
            Have to have an extra gigabyte of RAM just for that?

I use Norton and haven't had a virus in 15 years and that is even with a time where I was bored and specifically tried to infect my PC.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Kings
              • Oct 2002
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Have to have an extra gigabyte of RAM just for that?

I use Norton and haven't had a virus in 15 years and that is even with a time where I was bored and specifically tried to infect my PC.
              There's better ways of fighting boredom

Comment

• Dean C
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.5.x

Wayne - nope. I have 512mb DDR RAM on my laptop and I have AVG, pestpatrol, norton and zone alarm and ad-watch running in the background. Takes about 2mins to load on entering the user/pass into windows but after that it's fine I run the other applications at least once a week

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                  • Feb 2003

That is a protected system folder, you will want to configure Windows not to hide those and check AVG's safe list to make sure that it isn't on that.

Comment

• Andy Z
                    • Nov 2001

Not only that, but while System Restore is enabled, Windows will prevent editing/deletion of system restore files.
                    - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

• tgillespie
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Dean C
                      I've used Norton for years and year and never had a problem with it. Its most likely the user using it rather than the software. If you're smart all you'll ever need is Norton in the background, SpyBot & AdAware on the weekends, and TuneUP 2004 every so often to defrag registry.
                      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• rnawky
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2004

you can do what I do when i get a virus... reformat

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...