X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Scrubby
    Paying $18,000 dollars for a ring is just plain stupid. I don't even make that much for nearly two years at my old job. But hey, if you got the money to waste, go right ahead.
    It was about 2.5 months salary at the time. And I wouldn't really call spending money on my wife (to-be at the time) a waste.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• sabret00the
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      It was about 2.5 months salary at the time. And I wouldn't really call spending money on my wife (to-be at the time) a waste.
      i wouldn't mind what i was given (i better be given an engagement ring ) but i personally wouldn't feel comfy with giving her a fake diamond, i'd rather go without or save up for the real thing.

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
        • Jun 2000
        • 4.0.x

Yeah the 2 month's salary rule is pretty standard, and I wouldn't even think of spending less then that on an engagement ring. I would never, ever consider giving a cubic zirconia as an engagement ring, I would be embrassed to do that and I've never dated a woman that would be ok getting a "fake" diamond ring like that.

And "it's the thought that counts" doesn't really seem to apply when it comes to an engagement ring.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
          • Dec 2000
          • 3.6.x

Call me heartless, but I wouldn't buy anything for her. I don't believe in buying material things for a significant other. If she leaves you for not buying her a ring then she only wants your money in which case you don't want to be involved with her.

I have only had a couple girlfriends and they didn't last long, so take my advice with grains of salt.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
            Yeah the 2 month's salary rule is pretty standard, and I wouldn't even think of spending less then that on an engagement ring. I would never, ever consider giving a cubic zirconia as an engagement ring, I would be embrassed to do that and I've never dated a woman that would be ok getting a "fake" diamond ring like that.

And "it's the thought that counts" doesn't really seem to apply when it comes to an engagement ring.
            I think it does as well, i might be young but ive never had a high place on material values, and neither has my gf of the past 2 years... ^^

Comment

• tgillespie
              • Dec 2002
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
              Call me heartless, but I wouldn't buy anything for her. I don't believe in buying material things for a significant other. If she leaves you for not buying her a ring then she only wants your money in which case you don't want to be involved with her.

I have only had a couple girlfriends and they didn't last long, so take my advice with grains of salt.
              But showing someone that money is not an object between you and them, is something of significant value. I have no problem spending money on my girlfreind because it is a reminder to her that I care about her more than I do a new hard drive or stick of ram. There is a fine line between gold diggers and women who appriciate the consideration. Be a stingy selfish bastard, see how far it gets you.
              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Scrubby
                • Jan 2002

But if a woman or a man cannot see past what kind of ring it is, they're not worth the time. Someone's love should be more than enough to show how much you care about them. If they're going to complain about something that is not worth alot, screw them. They're not worth any of your time. End of story.

Comment

• TheComputerGuy
                  • Apr 2001

If you buy a high quality CZ rock...she will never know the difference, in fact most jewelers can't tell the difference on higher quality CZ... They can with certain tests they do now. I know a guy who replaced his wives real big rock with a fake one about 3 years before they got divorced cause he suspected something was about to happen.....man was he glad he did that. LoL! He spend less than 100 bucks on the stone, and to this day the woman swears its a real thing because it has not lost single color.

I think if you have the money to spend, and want to..go for the real thing. Personally...I would prolly buy a CZ for engagement...but it would be a nice one!! I mean really nice. I don't see the big deal...if it looks really really nice...and she doesn't go around to brag to people then she should appreciate the thought.

But I would never tell her about it.

Comment

• tgillespie
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Scrubby
                    But if a woman or a man cannot see past what kind of ring it is, they're not worth the time. Someone's love should be more than enough to show how much you care about them. If they're going to complain about something that is not worth alot, screw them. They're not worth any of your time. End of story.
                    Contemplating whether or not worldy things are all that you see in a relationship immediately tells me that there shouldn't be a relationship. If you love someone, you love someone. Giving them a beautiful ring shows your appriciation for them and shouldn't bring up the idea of "true love or money love"
                    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                      • Oct 2002
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by tgillespie
                      Contemplating whether or not worldy things are all that you see in a relationship immediately tells me that there shouldn't be a relationship. If you love someone, you love someone. Giving them a beautiful ring shows your appriciation for them and shouldn't bring up the idea of "true love or money love"
                      Exaclty the point I was making in my earlier response.

I have no issues at all with buying my wife anything... be that a diamond ring, a new car, annual membership to a luxury health spa ... whatever we can afford really. Thing is though... neither do I have to, nor do I feel I have to in order for her to know I love her.

Our two beautiful, well balanced, and polite children are testament to that.
                      John

Comment

• WizyWyg
                        • Jul 2001

Originally posted by TheComputerGuy
                        I don't see the big deal...if it looks really really nice...and she doesn't go around to brag to people then she should appreciate the thought.

But I would never tell her about it.
                        Then you dont really know how women think. The entire notion of getting the engagement ring is to make sure OTHER WOMEN know about it. And showing off something that is fake, is something a woman would be embarrassed about.

I could care less if its only 1/2 carat diamond, if that's all my beau can afford, but it makes a whole lotta difference (and thought) if you give a fake diamond or a real one.

Giving a fake one, shows that you really dont care for who she is, that she herself is fake, not worth your love, and shows you didn't really take the effort to buy something that would mean something to her. The engagement ring should reflect WHAT you think about her.

If my beau thinks that Im only worth a CZ, then in my eyes, he thinks very little of me. And that is what really matters.
                        There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

• WizyWyg
                          • Jul 2001

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
                          How very selfish... shame on you.
                          it's not selfish. If my beau gave me a CZ, it tells me he THINKS very little of me. That Im only worth a fake diamond, that all the time we spent together, meant really nothing.

No, a diamond is the only thing that should go into an engagement ring; save the CZ's for the earrings to be worn on the wedding day (for the bridesmaids)
                          There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                            • Oct 2002
                            • 3.7.x

... rubbish. So you'd rid of him if he didn't give you the right ring yeah.... phah! as I said... shame on you.

There's more to life than a ring. Love for one.
                            John

Comment

• WizyWyg
                              • Jul 2001

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
                              ... rubbish. So you'd rid of him if he didn't give you the right ring yeah.... phah! as I said... shame on you.

There's more to life than a ring. Love for one.
                              Rubbish its not.
                              Sorry, be a woman one day, and you will see how its NOT rubbish.
                              The engagement ring is something that should show how much you care for the person whom you are giving it to. A CZ setting instead of a Diamond one, shows exactly what kind feelings, thoughts, you have for that person.

The engagement ring maybe the ONLY gift a guy gives to their significant other, so it should be made to count. Two months salary is more than enough to buy a diamond one.

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                                • Oct 2002
                                • 3.7.x

Rubbish it is... hehe

No need to apologise - but I am happy being a man thanks.

Hmmm.. but maybe you should try being a man one day, and you will see that maybe all some women want is perhaps money, pressies and fluffly little poodles.

It simply doesn't need the giving of an expensive ring (or anything else for that matter) just to prove how much you love someone. Period. As I have said... that's really, really selfish.

You know... there is a saying that is used very often, and more often than not the people using it get it wrong. The incorrect version is.. "Money is the root of all evil", the correct version is... "the love of money is the root of all evil".

Sure, if you can afford it then go for it... but it is not needed. Any lady saying it IS needed needs careful consideration...
                                John

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...