• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrNase
    • Jun 2003
    • 3.8.x

XP-SP2 for all

Hey,

Our microsoft 'spy' (forgot his nickname ) may already know it.

SP1 didn't work on a pirated system (downloaded, not bought ) but SP2 will do so. I don't care since i bought XP Pro...

I don't know the reason but i read that 2 minutes before. Maybe ... (still not know his name) can confirm that!?
    That's the end of that!
  • Raz Meister
    • Jun 2001

mkraft writes "On the tail of the previously asked question on whether Microsoft should support pirated copies of XP, comes the answer. According to Computer Times, Microsoft will allow SP2 to be installed on any copy of Windows XP including copies with invalid license keys. Microsoft decided "that ...
    Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• MrNase
      • Jun 2003
      • 3.8.x

Hey thank you very much
      That's the end of that!

Comment

Who's to say it still won't lock em out of windows update, or report iilegal installs back to ms? If I wasn't legal I would be real careful with that service pack until someone said otherwise (tested it )

Comment

• sloth
          • Oct 2003

Just buy a licensed copy of Windows, as you should, and you will be fine.

Comment

• Marco
            • Nov 2000
            • 3.8.x

Or maybe not...

Contrary to the remarks it made to the ComputerTimes, Microsoft now claims that it will not permit users who have obtained Windows XP illegally to upgrade to its latest service release. Instead, th…

Basically it's the same as with SP1; if you're using a known leaked key then you're screwed

Comment

• Lumina
              • Sep 2002
              • 3.5.x

Yep, Microsoft has quashed those comments :

So now it is not entirely true.
              Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
              Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
              Join the vBulletin French community social group!

Comment

• SaintDog
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.5.x

Where is the SP2 download link? I've personally never seen it, but then again, I don't really keep up with updates as I should probably heh.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by SaintDog
                  Where is the SP2 download link? I've personally never seen it, but then again, I don't really keep up with updates as I should probably heh.
                  It is only in Release Candidate stage so far.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SaintDog
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.5.x

Ah, thanks Wayne, then I guess I will be waiting a little longer. When it comes to my computer, I'd rather not place anything unstable (or possibly unstable) on it; especially since I use it for business and don't need to be formatting or the like due to it.

Comment

• Marco
                      • Nov 2000
                      • 3.8.x

Well I used SP2 RC1 for a while and it was rock stable for me. Although I recently reinstalled Windows and I didn't bother installing SP2 again. Guess I'll wait for the final... there's not a lot of exciting stuff in it for me anyway, seeing as I stopped using IE a while ago and don't need a software firewall.

You're right though, if you use this box for important stuff then you shouldn't mess with it.

Comment

• Zecherieh
                        • Oct 2000
                        • 3.0.0 'Gold'

My only complaint on all all this - what about the guy sitting here with three 2.5 ghz computers and higher, all three with legal copies of Windows, and the disk for the computer I actually use is screwed up and doesnt work, and the other two who knows whatever happened to the disks (was in another office before I grabbed the two boxes).

So I am sitting here working on a evalution 2003 server for lack of anything else (and dont say linux, I would rather grab a dull knife and perform a self-service sex change than use linux)

Comment

• Bema Jinn
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sloth
                          Just buy a licensed copy of Windows, as you should, and you will be fine.
                          Have you seen how much they go for?

I don't bloody think so, i'll stick with my win98 thank you.

If MS reduced their OS prices a little, then more people would buy.

Comment

• Lurk
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 3.7.x

I bought xp
                            Let the flames begin.

Comment

• Marco
                              • Nov 2000
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zecherieh
                              My only complaint on all all this - what about the guy sitting here with three 2.5 ghz computers and higher, all three with legal copies of Windows, and the disk for the computer I actually use is screwed up and doesnt work, and the other two who knows whatever happened to the disks (was in another office before I grabbed the two boxes).

So I am sitting here working on a evalution 2003 server for lack of anything else (and dont say linux, I would rather grab a dull knife and perform a self-service sex change than use linux)
                              Get a replacement disc. Won't cost more than $10USD at most. You already own the licenses, you just need the media.
                              Originally posted by nebby
                              Have you seen how much they go for?
                              Last I checked you could get an OEM copy of XP for about $160USD. Not THAT expensive.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...