Windows XP SP2 delayed till summer!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nemesis01
    • Oct 2001

it's a pity it's been delayed really, the popup blocker was very effective and it also blocked unwanted active x software downloads without actually prompting you for an answer. it does have some annoying bugs though, windows update did not download all my driver updates, so instead of downloading a 15k driver on WU i had to download a 4.5mb driver package that took me 40 minutes to find which kinda sucked. the new firewall is very nice also, does not seem to impact on system resources anywhere near the degree most common software firewalls do.

Comment

• CeleronXT
      • Mar 2002

Originally posted by ogden2k
      Do you know if MS has any plans on tabbed browsing?
      They will only implement tabbed browsing once enough people have switched away to alternative browsers for the purpose of using tabbed browsing. Want tabbed browsing in IE? Switch to Firefox/Opera and get everyone you know to switch.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
        • Feb 2003

By the way, on the topic of Internet Explorer standards, I was having a chat with, Tony Chor, the group project manager for the Windows Internet Explorer team. He told me: with GDI it was difficult to properly implement alpha transparency years ago, the IE team was split up after IE6 was released and the new IE team is working on getting IE up to par with standards. I didn't ask what version standards support would be improved in as I was jumping for joy over that. My guess is Longhorn.

Comment

• CeleronXT
          • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
          By the way, on the topic of Internet Explorer standards, I was having a chat with, Tony Chor, the group project manager for the Windows Internet Explorer team. He told me: with GDI it was difficult to properly implement alpha transparency years ago, the IE team was split up after IE6 was released and the new IE team is working on getting IE up to par with standards. I didn't ask what version standards support would be improved in as I was jumping for joy over that. My guess is Longhorn.
          Really? How did you get to chat with him?
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

• Joshua Clinard
            Banned
            • Oct 2001
            • 3.0.0 Gamma

I've never trusted the Register. I doubt that IE will have tabbed browsing. It's just been delayed because people are having problems installing it, and they have to fix those problems. Another thing the article got wrong. It's not been delayed until "late summer or fall. It was originally due in June, and now it's bumped to early July. I would hardly call that late summer. Later summer is closer to late August.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
              Wait so IE will have tabbed browsing? ^^
              tab browsing in the article was removed by Andrew Orlowski -
              Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Thu 29 Apr '04, 9:36pm.
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• VolteFace
                • Nov 2002
                • 3.0.0 Gamma

Just FYI, Visual Studio .NET does have a tabbed browsing (sort of) system, in that it is inherently tab based (for opening documents and designers, etc), and you can open tabs to view web pages. Not that I would recommend attempting to use it as a main browser, but VS.NET (and its accompanying MSDN viewer) does have support for viewing web pages in tabs.

Also, Avant Browser and MyIE2 both use the IE rendering engine and support most of the peripheral features missing from IE. Of course, it won't fix the rendering issues or anything, but it's a start. I myself use Firefox on a regular basis. If a site requires IE? Well then I use IE. I have no problem clicking the small short cut on my task bar. It takes no time, and I rarely even have to do it.

Comment

• CeleronXT
                  • Mar 2002

Originally posted by VolteFace
                  Just FYI, Visual Studio .NET does have a tabbed browsing (sort of) system, in that it is inherently tab based (for opening documents and designers, etc), and you can open tabs to view web pages. Not that I would recommend attempting to use it as a main browser, but VS.NET (and its accompanying MSDN viewer) does have support for viewing web pages in tabs.

Also, Avant Browser and MyIE2 both use the IE rendering engine and support most of the peripheral features missing from IE. Of course, it won't fix the rendering issues or anything, but it's a start. I myself use Firefox on a regular basis. If a site requires IE? Well then I use IE. I have no problem clicking the small short cut on my task bar. It takes no time, and I rarely even have to do it.
                  You can make switching to IE for certain pages even easier by getting the IE view extension, which allows you to simply right click in a page/on a link, and hit View this Page in IE. Quite useful.

Anyways, I had a feeling you could use VS.NET as a browser. Interesting.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...