X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Gronlund
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.8.x

Windows XP SP2 delayed till summer!

Microsoft has delayed the release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 until late summer, and the software might not be officially released until the Fall. The delay has major implications for OEMs and third party software developers, who because of underlying security changes in the code, have been warned to test their software for compatibility.

SP2 was originally due to be released "later in 2003". The major release not only rolls up service patches but adds new firewall and wireless features. XP currently ships with a software firewall (ICF), but for the first time users will be strongly persuaded to turn this on. Microsoft's neglected web browser Internet Explorer finally gains tabbed browsing and a pop-up blocker.

And where supported, hardware-based memory protection (NX, or "Execution protection") will prevent code execution from data pages - although only Opteron and Itanium are the only Windows-ready architectures that support this to date.

Read More
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

• Lurk
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.7.x

I found out this morning...
    Let the flames begin.

Comment

• colicab-d
      • Dec 2002
      • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Just read the shorter version of this over at Newowin.net kinda sucks as one of the big additions is a pop-up adware blocker built into Internet Explorer. Still were all ok at mo but its something thats really gonna help Ie and its user database.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lurk
        I found out this morning...
        I found out last month
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Marco
          • Nov 2000
          • 3.8.x

Tabbed browsing in IE? Yeah right...

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Wait so IE will have tabbed browsing? ^^

Comment

• Marco
              • Nov 2000
              • 3.8.x

The Register must be full of ****, as usual. Tabbed browsing isn't in the RC1 version of SP2 and MS has announced many times they wouldn't be adding new features to IE anytime soon.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Zachery
                Wait so IE will have tabbed browsing? ^^
                Well that had been one of the features that IE was supposed to get in Longhorn so they probably moved it up to SP2. Good move on their part, tabbed browsing is the only reason I started using Mozilla Firefox and I would much rather use IE since it gives a better user experience.

p.s. I had thought that SP2 was always going to be released in late summer. Microsoft always likes to release in the August-October quarter.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• XiXora
                  • Aug 2001

hmm. i dont really care about ie's popup blocking or tabbed browsing. i want to care about its rendering techniques. It still has bugs to fix and more css support to add!
                  wouldnt mind some pre recommendation css 3 support either. some aspects of css3 are in candidate recommendation stage already.
                  www.xixora.com
                  Goldrush : A Soldier of Fortune Modification going for the GOLD!

Comment

• Marco
                    • Nov 2000
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    Well that had been one of the features that IE was supposed to get in Longhorn so they probably moved it up to SP2. Good move on their part, tabbed browsing is the only reason I started using Mozilla Firefox and I would much rather use IE since it gives a better user experience.

How's about security holes and its horrible rendering engine that doesn't even fully support CSS1?

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

You know Firefox doesnt render everything correctly either, im sorry to tell you, it gets CSS and XHTML wrong all the time, it does not render it how it should, and IE does do it right. and yes my code was very XHTML 100% complient. SO before you go on roaring about how FF is 100% complient, its not

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Marco
                        How's about security holes and its horrible rendering engine that doesn't even fully support CSS1?
                        Honestly, as a end user, I don't care. I have a software firewall and a up-to-date anti-virus scanner plus I am behind a hardware firewall on my system with an unroutable IP address. So my machine is pretty secure.

As for Standards Support, I care even less than about any potential security hole. Less than 1% of all sites are built to standards. Most are built in WYSIWYG editing programs that do not build anything close to standards and most Web Developers don't even care about them. I care that a website works in my browser, that basics like javascript and cookie handling work. I don't care whether it is a CSS or Table based layout, I don't care if it uses hacks or workarounds for specific browsers. I don't care if my browser doesn't support some standard that isn't even adopted yet. XHTML and CSS are almost a decade old and you are just now seeing support for them in browsers, that should tell you how important standards really are on the World Wide Web.

Instead of standards, I want to use Online Banking, Search Engines, Listen to music, watch movie trailers, post a few messages on message boards, participate in community discussions at Yahoo Groups, shop for Mother's Day gifts, purchase product for my retail shop, play a few games of Bejeweled occasionally and read/watch web comics like Foamy and Something Positive.

Sure CSSZenGarden.com is cool but it works just fine in Internet Explorer and it is completely standards compliant and I occasionally go to view the new designs. However it isn't really practical and until there are practical examples of Standards where I am given a better user experience because of it then I don't care. Standards are not for end-users, we don't care. They are for developers to try and make documents that work well in a perfect environment. However the real world is far from your perfect environment and once you realize that then you will be a much better developer. Yahoo obviously realizes it because their non-standards compliant website is the most visited site in the Entire World.

I should add that I used to be a WWW standards advocate. I would promote it the best way I could. I would work my butt off to try and fix that 1 pixel alignment problem caused by a particular browser without using hacks or workarounds. I would rail against using Filters or Behaviors for IE.

And then I realized that I was spending too much time worrying about the code, validating the code and so forth instead of running my business, responding to customers and so forth. Then I remembered that the World Wide Web isn't about standards, it isn't about perfection or being able to display little buttons saying your site was compliant. It is about the user and their experience. Most don't even know what HTML is let alone the W3C. They aren't going to complain about 1 pixel or 10 if it looks okay to them. They want glowing text and fading buttons. They want drop down menus and other gizmos and gadgets. They want to visit sites that are fun. They don't care how much time you put into the code or that you were awake until 4:00 a.m. putting the finishing touches on your site so it validates. They want information and they want it now. If you don't provide it then off they go to the next result in the search engine list. There is no loyalty to your site because of standards. It is because of your content, your prices, your customer service, your personality.

Sure if you want to run a site dedicated to web standards then it is appropriate. For any other site there are many more important things you should be worrying about.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.8.x

I would ignore the tabbed browsing remark in the report. I emailed the register regarding that comment..
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Jimmy Kane
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            Well that had been one of the features that IE was supposed to get in Longhorn so they probably moved it up to SP2.
                            I have had a play with Longhorn Build 4501 and I didnt see any tabbed browsing. Could have been i didnt look close enough mind you.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jimmy Kane
                              I have had a play with Longhorn Build 4501 and I didnt see any tabbed browsing. Could have been i didnt look close enough mind you.
                              Hmmm I remember seeing this somewhere with a Screenshot of it working. I don't have access to any of the Longhorn Builds but do anticipate the release mainly because of the file system updates and the Library system being introduced.

Will most likely switch back to Internet Explorer after SP2 is released anyway. I use MSN 9 for most of my browsing now because it already has the popup blocker built in and I prefer its method of thumbnailing the blocked page much better than any other blocker. At least then I can choose which pages I want to allow and which ones I don't. Plus I like the information available on the dashboard, just wish it integrated with Outlook which the Longhorn Sidebar should be able to do.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...