feds want to snoop your xbox live legally :)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

feds want to snoop your xbox live legally :)

This is just pathetic!

The FBI proposes that they be allowed to wiretap Xbox Live communications...

Today it was learned that the FBI has made a proposal to the FCC that would require all Internet Providers to rewire their current system in order to make wiretapping accessible to the FBI. Experts claim that if the new proposal were to pass, MSN Messenger, Xbox Live and any voice over Internet protocol would be accessible for wiretapping.

The 85-page document that was submitted to the FCC would require all companies to build a "back door" for the FBI to monitor chatting. New services that did not offer a "back door" would become illegal and old services, such as Xbox Live, would have 15 months to comply.
    and more here: http://news.com.com/2100-1028-5172948.html

Wanting everything and hiding behind 'because we fight terrorism' is just lame.
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

Not to stray into the war of terrorism debate but yesterday the ringleaders behind the madrid bombings were found in Spain with ready-made explosives and huge amounts of ammunition. If people aren't there to tap phones, intercept mail etc we could have had more attrocities... Still I do agree that this whole invasion of privacy has got way out of hand.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Icheb
      • Nov 2002

So we can only join chats that support SSL-encryption .

Comment

• Exero

OMG
        the FBI are STUPID IDIOTS! yup IDIOTS
        come on throw me away
        o wait u want :P

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Dean C
          Not to stray into the war of terrorism debate but yesterday the ringleaders behind the madrid bombings were found in Spain with ready-made explosives and huge amounts of ammunition. If people aren't there to tap phones, intercept mail etc we could have had more attrocities... Still I do agree that this whole invasion of privacy has got way out of hand.
          I agree, but .. how many terrorist will use a xbox live connection to conversate their plans worldwide? I'd suggest they use a private hosted server with their own ircd that allows ssl connections only and stunel to their own setup to make sure they aren't snooped. I suggest that to everybody though

Come on, xbox live snooping.

Comment

• Dean C
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.5.x

Is IRC DCC chat secure enough? (Not that i'm planning on conducting any terrorist activities or anything) :s
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

DCC Stands for Direct Client Connection. The data is only initiated over the irc daemon, but after it opens, no data is swapping over the network, it is directly between the two connections. You can even quit irc and keep all the dcc chat windows open.

How your ISP can log the traffic between your connection and another person is unknown to me, and how they are allowed to provide that to the feds is even more unknown to me.

btw - nice new avatar.

Comment

• Martz
                • Apr 2001

Our small IRC network offers optional SSL connection, and the links between the servers are SSL encrypted too! Although we aren't a terrorism group it's still nice to know that we aren't being snooped on.
                HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                -
                Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

• Exero

how much longer till they will want to try to take over webserver?
                  cos when they do im throwing a big fat NO at them for my server

Comment

• orca
                    • Mar 2001
                    • 5.5.x

As much as I remember, the terrorist from 11th september used good old communication media and not things like chat etc.

Oh well, they reached a big aim...getting more and more people paranoid.
                    Ueli

Comment

• Ksilebo
                      • May 2001

Well, considering VoIP is data, it can get encrypted if you want at least the illusion of privacy.

/me sits back and waits for the software to roll out

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                      http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...