Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

PlayStation 3 .. information published

TheRegister posted earlier this week: (but I just read it! and it got me all excited)

SCEE president and COO David Reeves has indicated at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo that PSP games will probably be region-free, that PS3 will be intrinsically linked with PSX and may appear in home server and standalone gaming versions, and that Sony may announce a stripped down, PSone-style PlayStation 2 product.
    ..(snap)..

Reeves further suggested that in addition to a PlayStation 3 "intrinsically linked with PSX", "also there might be a normal PS3 for gamers, who just want to play the movies and have better games." The "home server" version of PlayStation 3, which has "all-singing, all-dancing features with maybe a hard disk drive", could retail for "whatever it might be, €600 or €700" according to Reeves, while the alternative might be for people who "just [want] to pay 200 Euros for a new generation games machine".
    ..(snap)..

Looking further ahead, Reeves spoke about Sony's "ultimate goal" for PlayStation 3 - "to get into electronic broadband distribution". By 2006, at which point Reeves says all Sony's current crop of hardware products should be available, the platform holder hopes we'll have always online access and viable broadband distribution. "It's going to have to be 2 or 3MB, something like that," he said. "Ken [Kutaragi]'s even talking about 30MB! And when it gets to that, then it is broadband distribution, and people then can just download whatever game they want. But it's got to be secure, and that's where DNAS [Sony's online security protocol] comes in."
    Well, want to read more? Here is the full article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/36769.html

I always like news and speculations and details like these, it will give a small glimpse of the future of home entertainment, serving and online enjoyment. I do not mind that it goes this way. I just mind having to pay for it

Also nice to read in regards to PSP http://www.zdnet.co.jp/games/gsnews/0307/29/news08.htm
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

I'll be sticking with the XBox 2 .... Microsoft have this market sold...
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• merk
      • Jul 2001

I probably wont bother with either unit.

Games just dont "do it for me" to spend that much money on a new unit, id prefer to spend it on a new GPU and CPU for my main pc

Maybe when it becomes cheaper it might be more attractive, but the new features are nothing that i really want terribly bad(and some noone wants like DRM!), i already have a dvd player and a games player

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Very good point! But so far any game I play on any console I get (except PC) is given to me as a present, or at a very good discount Like hell that I am paying so much for a game, 2 games, and you already paid as much as the console is worth.

Comment

• XiXora
          • Aug 2001

30mb broadband?! haahah by 2006 the UK will just get 2mb if they're lucky.
          www.xixora.com
          Goldrush : A Soldier of Fortune Modification going for the GOLD!

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

The problem isn't always the downstream unfortn. There are quite some good DSL providers here with proper download speeds, who still linger on 256kbit upstream. The same goes for cable connections. Whereas it is just good enough for europe connections, playing in the us drasticly shows performance issues at moments when there is quite some to process.

Comment

• Dean C
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by XiXora
              hehe you are so right

Comment

• Ksilebo
                • May 2001

Most of the more rural US is lucky to have 256 kbit xDSL by then.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

• filburt1
                  • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Dean C
                  I'll be sticking with the XBox 2 .... Microsoft have this market sold...
                  Rumor has it that there will be no backwards compatibility and no hard drive...the two main features that I care about the most.
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

Originally posted by filburt1
                    Rumor has it that there will be no backwards compatibility and no hard drive...the two main features that I care about the most.
                    Exactly, I read this too a week ago and my brain went 'errrh, playstation!' (after which I started a game on the pc and had fun with that instead)

Comment

• Dean C
                      • Mar 2002
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by filburt1
                      Well either way they're using a 5ghz processor... I can only dream of what the gameplay and graphics are going to be like !

Comment

• filburt1
                        • Feb 2002

GHz/MHz = meaningless. A 2 GHz G5 is similar in processing power to a 3 GHz P3. It's the graphics processor that will make it impressive (or unimpressive). ATI is partnered with Microsoft this time instead of nVidia.

That would be the only reason I can see for the lack of backwards-compatibility: many XBox games likely use very nVidia-optimized instructions to get higher framerates. I played through Descent 3 recently which was heavily optimized for 3dfx cards and Glide, and on my Geforce 3 Ti500 on a 2.6 GHz system (remember this game was made in 1998), my framerate lagged in heavy firefights and such).
                        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Yuneek
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Seems interesting but I don't like reading speculation and ideas because the final product is always a much different finish than expected which commonly results in a disappointment.

Comment

• merk
                            • Jul 2001

Originally posted by XiXora
                            At least you people have decent cap rates. Australia limit your download usage and charge 4 arms if you want to do anything fun. :|

Comment

• Yuneek
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Whoa... Australia limits your download usage? The ISP's do? That sucks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...