Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chen
    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Chris Gwynne
    For one, it's not my quote Chen. It's off CNN, the views of privacy groups.
    Where have I said it was?

Secondly, no doubt by using a public forum you assumed the risk of having your posts displayed and to be read by anyone. Email is a private thing where no such risks are in practice, so your argument is both null and void.
    Yes, when I post here I assume everyone will be able to read what I post, but I also assume that when I choose to delete the post it will really be deleted and not just hidden. As far as email being private, that is amusing at best, considering the number of servers your messages bounce through before reaching their destination. And unlike real mail, which has to be unsealed in order to be read, you will never know that your email was "opened" or read by anyone before it reached the recipient.
    Chen Avinadav
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• Chris Gwynne
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Chen
      Where have I said it was?
      Where have you said it wasn't?

Email is a private thing where no such risks are in practice - I'm not aware of Yahoo! or Hotmail crawling through your emails, are you? I agree that anybody could and probably does read through my mail before it reaches its destination. But one of the main concerns with this privacy group people who've voiced complaints is that Google crawl your mail.

If you wish to argue with anybody argue with Google and the privacy rights group, it's their battle not mine. As they say don't shoot the messenger.
      Last edited by Chris Gwynne; Tue 6 Apr '04, 3:59pm.

Comment

• okrogius
        • Dec 2001

Where have you said it wasn't?

Email is a private thing where no such risks are in practice - I'm not aware of Yahoo! or Hotmail crawling through your emails, are you? I agree that anybody could and probably does read through my mail before it reaches its destination. But one of the main concerns with this privacy group people who've voiced complaints is that Google crawl your mail.

If you wish to argue with anybody argue with Google and the privacy rights group, it's their battle not mine. As they say don't shoot the messenger.
        I'm not sure about Yahoo, but this (example from hotmail) most likely will also apply.

You can search your hotmail inbox(es). Would you tell me how the search works if some script doesn't read your email?

Comment

• Chris Gwynne
          • Dec 2002

I don't work for Hotmail, sorry.

Comment

• Chen
            • Jun 2001

I was referring to the European laws according to which Google is required to completely delete the emails when the users request to have them deleted. As I already said I don't really care what indexing system Google uses to scan my messages, and I'm sure any other service provider that performs millions of searches every day would also index your messages. Google is simply bashed for being honest about it.

Of course there are risks to storing your emails, or any other information, on a third party system. People who really want "privacy" should use their own servers with some kind of encryption methods to prevent others from reading their emails... but is this really required for someone that is just sending an email to his family from Ecuador to say he's alright? I don't think people who currenty use webmail would refrain from using Google just because of its policies.

I don't wish to blame you for all that is wrong in this world, just trying to develop a discussion on a discussion board.
            Chen Avinadav
            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• cirisme
              • Feb 2003

Dean maybe you should read before you write? As I said already, the text is not my argument, I have no opinions as to privacy with GMail. I couldn't give a crap to be honest.

cirisme, read what I just said to Dean. =)
              Still doesn't make email private.
              TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• bladenut
                • Apr 2004

So is this an official GMail discussion group, or are people just postulating based on the announcement?

--bladenut

Comment

• Chris|vB
                  • Dec 2002

Sounds good.

Comment

• MrNase
                    • Jun 2003
                    • 3.8.x

I've been invited to take gmail for a testdrive
                    That's the end of that!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...