X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IDN
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.5.x

What capture setting to use?

I would like to turn my VHS tapes to VCD. I'm using my TV card to capture the video via coax. I tried VCD and it recorded some video (63 minutes) at 629MB. I would like to fit videos up to 2 hours. What setting should I use? I have these:

MPEG-1 Normal/Good/Optimal Quality
    MPEG-2 Normal/Good/Optimal Quality
    VCD/SVCD/DVD
    Windows Media Video
    Uncompressed AVI
    Direct Burn VCD/SVCD/DVD

The codecs are:

MPEG-1 Codec
    MPEG-2 Codec
    Windows Media Video Compression
    DV Video Encoder
    Indeo video 5.10 Compression filter
    Indeo video 5.11 Compression filter
    MJPEG Compressor
    Cinepak Codec
    DivX 5.0.5 Codec
    Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50
    Intel Indeo Video R3.2
    Intel Ideo Video 4.5
    Ligos Indeo Video 5.11
    Intel IYUV Codec
    MS MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
    MS MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
    MS RLE
    MS Video 1
    Running vB since 4-14-2002
  • Icheb
    • Nov 2002

With VCD the best you can get is about 10 mb per minute. You need AVIs to get a better compression and they also have a much better quality.

Comment

If you go into avi compresstion I recomend XviD codec, I'm getting very good results with it encoding my anime off DVD and VHS. I'm not a big fan of VCD, I would rather go with SVCD and use a few more cd's and get better encodes, or if you have a dvd burner just use that and copy them right over (with some trickery).

Getting good encodes is hard sometimes, especially when the source is bad, I recomend you stop by Doom9 and do some reading. Learn how to apply filters and do it in the correct order, once you can do that well you can drop frame rates and bitrates and compress you video more with better results. On top of all this make sure you are compressing your audio correctly and enough.
      Last edited by Guest; Thu 1 Apr '04, 10:57am.

Comment