What do you do about the owner of a board using a racial slur against you?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vlonghammer
    • Mar 2004

What do you do about the owner of a board using a racial slur against you?

xxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Vlonghammer; Wed 12 May '04, 7:58pm.
  • Lacrosse Boy
    • Jan 2003

It's not ethical, but it is allowed.

Owners can do pretty much what they want in terms of content with the Bulletin Boards.
    | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
    |
    Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

• Tungsten
      • Jan 2002
      • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Basically you tell the parties involved to stop crying about it and to go rent a life somewhere.

Comment

• Cloud Strife
        • Jun 2002
        • 3.0.0 'Gold'

wow... Talk about setting a bad example

Comment

• cirisme
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Vlonghammer
          http://www.steelerwatch.com/vbulleti...ead.php?t=2780

Someone used a racial slur against a member of this board and when they contacted the owner of this board....they copied and pasted the private letter then he himself called this person the same racial slur in big letters. and banned the person for complaining about being called this word

Is this allowed?
          It has nothing to do about whether it's allowed or not... it is the forum owner's private property as long as they do not violate their license or the laws of whatever country they are from.
          TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• orca
            • Mar 2001
            • 5.5.x

Well, it depends. Here in Switzerland we actually have a law against racism. Meaning if someone publishes racistic content or also use racistic language against someone you can sue him. However, it depends probably whether it's worth the effort...
            Ueli

Comment

• CondorZ
              • Oct 2001

As far as the slur goes...the admin or webmaster or whoever it is has done far more damage to him/herself than the "victim" can do. That kind of thing is just not acceptable to most people. The victim should just walk away.

But, there is a threat in there. Something like "I will wipe your ****** *** off the earth and all your friends too." That is a threat that implies bodily harm. The "victim" can report this threat to the police. You cannot threaten people, even over the internet.

Comment

• Neocorteqz
                • Aug 2002

Originally posted by CondorZ
                As far as the slur goes...the admin or webmaster or whoever it is has done far more damage to him/herself than the "victim" can do. That kind of thing is just not acceptable to most people. The victim should just walk away.

But, there is a threat in there. Something like "I will wipe your ****** *** off the earth and all your friends too." That is a threat that implies bodily harm. The "victim" can report this threat to the police. You cannot threaten people, even over the internet.
                some hosting companies may have rules about this, but for the most part, nothing one can do.

You are right, you can not threaten people over the internet, but it's a hard thing to prove, especially if you have access to stuff normal members don't, then you'd basically be able to deny all of it.

kinda sucks. I for one would just leave and never go back, not really worth getting upset over, I know it may hurt and what not, but it just shows how much Ignorance is still alive and thriving. and you'd be putting in time for something that may never be rectified.

Comment

• LancerForums
                  • Aug 2001

Wow! I believe my friend visits that site as he's a Steeler fan. I can't believe the owner / admin would react in such a fasion.

Mark

Comment

• Tungsten
                    • Jan 2002
                    • 3.0.0 Beta 7

z
                    Originally posted by orca
                    Well, it depends. Here in Switzerland we actually have a law against racism. Meaning if someone publishes racistic content or also use racistic language against someone you can sue him. However, it depends probably whether it's worth the effort...
                    At the risk of steering this thread completely off topic, that law is absurd. I am completely against racism and feel that the post in question (see originating post) made by that forum admin was in extremely poor taste, however...

Society has so preoccupied itself with righting these fairly intangilbe wrongs that it's made "political correctness" the height of importance and clogged our judicial systems with frivolous cases as a result.

What ever happened to just ignoring ignorant sods like this forum admin? I mean, really... who has he hurt by spouting off all manner of garbage? All he has accomplished is to have made himself look like a complete ass to those who don't share his bigoted views on life. i.e. The majority of the rest of the world.

But to sue him for it? To take legal action because of it? Please.

Just ignore the twit and go on with your lives. Take heed of the old saying, "Illegitimi non carborundum" -- Don't let the bastards wear you down. Chances are you have far greater things to worry with than this.

Comment

• winyan
                      • Apr 2004

Racial slurs...

Should be illegal. It's exactly that thinking that makes a vicious cycle of racism.

I'm American Indian, and have had the same thing done to me. It's vicious, wrong and it hurts.

I realize no one has control over another's thoughts, but when those *thoughts* are expressed in a public forum and little is done about it; well, I thought we lived in a more enlightened society than is evidenced by that.

win

Comment

• Chaotic Reality
                        • May 2003

apparently some people forget that this only the internet. shrug it off, and if someone dares to say something like that to your face, THEN do something about it.

this thread should be closed. ;o

J.

Comment

• Surrix
                          • Jan 2002
                          • 3.0.0 Beta 5

Sticks and stones my break my bones but words will never hurt me. While people will say that is a lot of false hope I believe in this situtation it can be applied as you don't even know the guy why take offence. If you/they hadn't taken offence the frist time none of this would have happened.
                          Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Vlonghammer
                            http://www.steelerwatch.com/vbulleti...ead.php?t=2780

Someone used a racial slur against a member of this board and when they contacted the owner of this board....they copied and pasted the private letter then he himself called this person the same racial slur in big letters. and banned the person for complaining about being called this word

Is this allowed?
                            I have a simple solution. Contact his host. If his host doesn't do anything, contact his host's ISP. If there is an abuse department, that is the area of the host/isp you want to contact.

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                              • Jan 2002

While that post was far from civilized, it in no way breaks any law. He called you a name. That is not illegal.

If the host takes action, you are in extreme luck.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...