Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesglewisf
    • Sep 2000

ALT-S for Submit

My favorite template change is to make ALT-S work for the submit button and ALT-P work for Preview.

You just change all of the templates that have Submit buttons on their forms. The most obvious ones are newreply, newthread, and editpost. I've changed them all over the place.

Basically, you replace:
    Code:
    <INPUT TYPE="Submit" NAME="SUBMIT" VALUE="Submit">
    With
    Code:
    <INPUT TYPE="Submit" NAME="SUBMIT" accesskey="S" VALUE="Submit (Alt-S)">
    This improves surfing for people who prefer the keyboard over the mouse. I was introduced to the idea at SitePoint, and now I nag every board I visit until they make the change. LOL!
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo! Forums
    MarriedAdults.com
    Hosting Matters (My Host)
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

WOW... I am glad you like such a simple change. Maybe it will start a trend towards making vBulletin more accessible to the blind and handicapped.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JimF
      • May 2000

Originally posted by wluke
      Maybe it will start a trend towards making vBulletin more accessible to the blind and handicapped.
      Not to sound insensitive, but why would a blind person be reading and posting on a messageboard?

-jim

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Why not? They can read the newspaper and books, why shouldn't they be able to access the Internet.

There are special browsers available which read the content of a page to the user, making it accessible to many handicapped people. One of the most brilliant human minds alive today is totally reliant on a computer. Even though he isn't blind, he can't speak and only has minimal control of a hand and his tongue. Regardless of this, Stephen Hawkings has written several books and computer programs (including the one that allows him to type and speak by moving his tongue) and is regarded as the most accomplished Physicist in the history of man.

Just because someone is blind or handicapped, we shouldn't deny them access to information. The simple text in a bulletin board is perfect for the blind because they can have it read to them through speech synthesis and get the same effect that everyone with sight gets. This isn't possible with graphics, movies or other visual mediums but is possible with text.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JimF
          • May 2000

I understand all that, I'm just saying that they can't download braille... If there is some sort of program that enables them to surf the internet, more power to them. But an internet message board doesn't seem like the type of place a blind person would spend a lot of time. That's all I'm saying. If I'm wrong, and they are able to access and read the internet somehow, god bless them.

-jim

Comment

• Joe
            • May 2000

I once talked to a blind person on IRC for a few hrs, i had no idea she was blind for the first hour or so of our conversation, it was quite unique.
            Bike Forums.net

Comment

• WildWayz
              • May 2000
              • 3.6.x

I once saw Stephen Hawkings in Cambridge a few years back.

--WildWayz

Comment

• Bane
                • Jul 2000

I do believe the text is read to them.

Comment

• Bane
                  • Jul 2000

BikeForums

Oh My.. Busy on the boards?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...