X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Template Question...

I have implemented and maintained a couple different message boards, but I have never done visual templates or anything (when you create a custom appearance that "wraps" around the outside of a forum). How exactly is this done. I have mediocre (sp?) html skills, but I rock all over with Adobe GoLive (a visual editor). Can I just create a standard html page (template) with the title at the top and nav buttons on the sides and have that be my template? Do I have to like put some kind of "marker" in the html that shows where on the page the actual forum tables will be filled in?

(Keep in mind that I have absolutely no experience with templates and have absolutely no concept of how they work or how they are implemented.)

Thanks for any info the subject of templates that you guys can give me.
  • Fquist
    • Apr 2000

this should be moved to templates
    Site: -http://www.jazz2online.com-
    Forums -http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/-

Comment

• codyrush
      • Jun 2000

I agree, move this to templates... but I'll also start an explanation.

I use Dreamweaver. You can build your site exactly how you want it, you just need to insert the appropriate variables ($whatever) where necessary. For instance, if you're inserting the forum logo, instead of putting the path to the image (which you can do) you can just put $titleimage and it'll pull it up. You just have to remember, when you're working on the file in GoLive or whatever, by putting the $titleimage as your source, GoLive won't know what to do with it. When you copy it to your template file, the server will know what to do with it. So..... get your refresh button ready and prepare yourself to finetune almost every aspect of the site... it's fun but can take a while. Man, I am a geek... I think it's fun whereas most would think it's really boring... ah nevermind, I'm ranting to the wrong group of people... if you;ve got your own vB, then you've got some geek in ya....

Also, back up your templates to like .txt files so if you make a mistake, you can go back. Or, I guess they;re in the members area too...

Hope all that made sense,
      Cody

Comment

• werehere
        • Apr 2000

Off to the template forums it is going!
        We're Here Forums!
        [email protected]

Comment

• Jake Bunce
          • Dec 2000
          • 3.6.x

still not quite clear on this. I use GoLive. Can I just make a layout grid to customize the layout and in the table in the middle of the page where I want the forum display to be I just put the appropriate variable name and it will do it? Is this as simple as making a regular html page with a couple variables in the code here and there? I'm trying to grasp the concept of this. Once you have the concept down, a little tweaking is all one needs to completely understand something like this.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...