How do YOU create a second custom style?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Overgrow
    • May 2000

How do YOU create a second custom style?

I've been running vB since 1.1 but I've only ever had one style choice on my forum. I'd like to add a second but I can't figure out how most people do it?

When you add a second style, replacement set, and template set, it asks you if you'd like to make this user selectable. If you answer no, you can't select it to see how it's coming-- even as an admin! So you must answer yes and make it selectable so everyone, including all normal users, can see it too as you work.

Now I can go write a little code to fix this, but doesn't that seem odd? Shouldn't admins be able to see ALL styles no matter if they are user selectable or not?

And one more thing.. Why doesn't it copy all of my custom templates into the new template set? I have literally like 80 custom templates, I have to make manual duplicates? Or write a query?

Ugh, this is an annoying process for a heavily customized site, it's as bad as doing a full redesign when it should only be about making modifications.
    vB Retro -> See vBulletin 1.1.2 and travel back to the Year 2000!
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content since vB1.1... now faster than ever!
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You're right - the only way to see the style is to enable it. Sorry but there's currently no other way around this - short of hacking.

The way I copy customized templates is to download the style set then upload it again. You then need to rename the uploaded style, replacement and template sets so they don't get confused with your existing ones.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Overgrow
      • May 2000

Ah thanks that will save a bit of time. As always, Steve-O on the ball. I'm hoping someday to see your response time in the sub-2 second arena when vB is hooked up through a cortex tube..

Comment

• bjorkfan19
        • Nov 2002
        • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

One easy way I've found is to set up a private forum and make the new style its forced default. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Overgrow
          • May 2000

Ah so that will force the new style in that private forum even if it's not user selectable! Great workaround, thanks.

Comment

• Rose
            • Nov 2001

*nods* Having a "dump" or "test" forum that's hidden from members is great for testing new styles.

Also, I find it easiest to use one template set and use replacements for anything that needs to differ in the styles (other than of course the preset replacements for colors and such when you edit that ...). That means not having to apply hacks to numerous template sets and it also saves you from copying all your custom templ's.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...