• Dec 2000

Wow luke! Thanks a bunch!!!

Question: How do I change the margin??

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Apr 2000
      • 3.6.x

You have to change the body tag's attributes. Check out vBulletin.org to see what I mean (look at the source). Note that IE and Netscape have different values, so you need 4 attributes to set the top and left margins for both. And IE has a rightmargin, while Netscape doesn't (it's tied into the marginwidth value)

Wayne--
      I like the test board look, but if you're taking comments....
      You might want to tone down the anti-aliasing around the banner. You might want to make the drop shadow a little more pronouced. IMO, it almost looks like artifacting now. I do like the intergration there, though.

Overall, I like it though. I'm not sure exactly how it will work with more than one forum per category though. That layout kinda reminds me of AnandTech's board (I forget what it's called)

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • May 2000
        • 1.1.x

Anandtech runs Fusetalk and everyone who runs Fusetalk looks exactly the same (albeit different colors)..

Comment

• Fred
          • Jun 2000
          • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

ineedhelp,

Heres a suggestion of mine, use it if you like. Put the margins to "0" like someone else said. Then take the forum and make it around 96% so that it doesn't stick to the walls of the browser.
          Your hover color is red, change it to green (same color as the bgcolors in the forum catagories).
          Your footer:
          Code:
          Powered by: vBulletin Version 1.1.3
          Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Limited 2000.
          Copyright ©2000-2001 [url]http://www.shockforums.cjb.net[/url]
          Should be just:
          Code:
          Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©Jelsoft Enterprises Limited 2000.
          Copyright ©2000 [url]http://www.shockforums.cjb.net[/url]
          Also, in your forums themselves, the images for "Reply" and "New Thread" should be fixed. On the drop shadow of the text, you can see the cut off. Thats look bad on a professional level. Redo those images so that theres no "cut off".

Thats it for now, hope some of that helped you.

Regards,
          Fred Salari

Comment

• ineedhelp
            • Dec 2000

Thanks a bunch Fred! I changed the margin, and I am about to change all the other things you said!

About the Vbulletin footer...Are you sure I can cut off some of the text Vbulletin put like "Version 1.1.3"?

Anyway, I will go make the changes now. Thanks for the input! When you think about it, there really is a difference between critizism and suggestions...I love suggestions!

Comment

• Fred
              • Jun 2000
              • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

I'm pretty sure John will let you do a little adjustment to the Copyright at the bottom. I remember a thread that asked about that, and John was pretty good about it.

Critisism and suggestions are almost the same, except one kind of narrows down the faults, and the other tells what you can do. Both are terrific when developing a website.

I love having people critisise my website, as long as they have a statement or fact of why it's bad or wrong.

Fred Salari

Comment

• ineedhelp
                • Dec 2000

Very well worded Fred ;-) I changed the buttons so the shadow does not get cut off (i think!) and I tried to change the hover links to the bright green, but when I did that, the links became so light that they were hard to read, so I made them a darker green.

As for the copyright, I fixed it and I think it looks very good now. I also changed the margin to where it sticks to the edge or almost the edge of the browser. I hope you will tell me if this looks good or bad. I would also like to know how to get members to my site??

Please tell me or do it yourself - How to get members to my site, http://www.shockforums.cjb.net

Happy Holidays!
                Regards,
                the bubba

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
                  • Oct 2000
                  • 1.1.x

WOW!

Originally posted by wluke

Even so you can tell at a glance that it is drastically different from the current in use forums.

[Edited by wluke on 12-22-2000 at 04:55 PM]
                  That is really good use of the templates!

i Really like that Forum wluke!

Comment

• Fred
                    • Jun 2000
                    • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Ok, looks a bit better. The images don't have the cut-off, thats good.

You need to add this to your <body> that can be found in the 'Change Styles':

Code:
                    topmargin="0" rightmargin="0" leftmargin="0" bottommargin="0"
                    That should take care of the image sticking to the browser wall. Then you gotta go through all the templates like $forumhome and just make the forum itself 96% of the browser window. That should be the best way to make the forum look good.

To make your forum popular, you need to mega advertise your website/ forum. I don't mean spam all over on other forums! I mean, do button exchanges with OTHER web graphics websites. Add your site to search engines like yahoo! and google.com.

Later,
                    Fred Salari

Comment

• Scaramanga_gold
                      • Nov 2000

Sorry If you didnt liked the things i said but i just wanted to let you know what i really think, that is why you posted this message didnt you?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...