Text color problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SloppyGoat
    • Feb 2002

Actually, I've noticed it's that way on top of the sub forums too.

These are even on the same page!
    The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

I just realized something. Did you put a color in the 'Small Font: color' box? If so, then this will override all your other settings. Either remove this setting, or change the template so it doesn't use 'smallfont' and is set to the variables of your choice.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
        • Feb 2002

Yes, I did set my own small font color. So where is this variable? And why is it linked to the top portion of my header fonts? If I could figure out where to find these variables, I could just make it match the header variable that works, correct?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by SloppyGoat
          Yes, I did set my own small font color. So where is this variable?
          Uh, the same place you set it - in the Styles [fonts/colors/etc] section.

And why is it linked to the top portion of my header fonts? If I could figure out where to find these variables, I could just make it match the header variable that works, correct?
          I'm not sure what you mean by 'linked to the top portion of my header fonts'. As I said, as long as you set the 'Small Font: color' varible this will overide any individual 'smallfont' settings that are in the templates. Either remove this setting, or modify the template to change 'smallfont' to 'font' and use whatever variable you want (size, color, etc.)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
            • Feb 2002

Ok, now I'm all confused. If I remove my small font color in Styles [fonts/colors/etc] section, then I can't choose my small font color! That's not what I'm after, I don't think. I'm happy with my small font color, I just need to separate it from the top header font color somehow. I guess I mean, where is the code in the template that links (or assigns) the small font color to the header fonts?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'linked to the top portion of my header fonts'. As I said, as long as you set the 'Small Font: color' varible this will overide any individual 'smallfont' settings that are in the templates. Either remove this setting, or modify the template to change 'smallfont' to 'font' and use whatever variable you want (size, color, etc.)
            What I mean is, the only way I can change the top header font color is with the small font color. Where are you talking about changing it? I can't seem to find it, or I'm looking right at it and just don't know.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
              • Feb 2002

Ok, I think I found out why. Look at the source html...

Code:
              <td bgcolor="#656775" width="80%" align="left"><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" [b]color="#778899" color="#000000">[/b]<b>Forum</b></font></td>
              There are two color assignments there! If I remove one, then it shows the way I want. But in the template, it doesn't look that way. Why are there two colors there? That's what's causing the prob.

Ok, I getcha now. If I remove "small" from the smallfont tag, then the color changes. I just need to assign the font type now. Those fonts shouldn't be overridden by small font color, though, IMO.
              Last edited by SloppyGoat; Sun 26 May '02, 12:04pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

I have no setting in my 'Small Font: color' and the colors work just fine on my forums. They use whatever the templates say to use. If it's the table heading text, they use that color. If it's the category font color they use that. Otherwise if no specific color is specified, they default to the main font text color as set in the <body> tag.

If you don't want to delete this setting, then you will need to manually modify the templates and change

'<smallfont color =......'
                to
                '<font color=...........'

...........wherever you want the color to change.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                  • Feb 2002

Yep, thanks! I just figured that out before you hit submit. LOL

Ok, now that that's solved. How can I go about changing the Currently Online and PM visited link color only? They have the same problem.

Ruh roh! It's still the same on the top of every other page. Damn! Which other templates do I have to modify to change those?

Nevermind! I found it! I'm not a complete moron or anything. Hehe

Now to find the PM and Online links.

{edit again}

Those were easy enough to find. Thanks for your help, Steve. It's the little things that make a board look nice.
                  Last edited by SloppyGoat; Sun 26 May '02, 12:48pm.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                    • Feb 2002

One last thing I can't seem to fix. How do I set the color for the "All times are GMT -6 hours. The time now is 04:05 PM." line?
                    I found the template, but it doesn't seem to take regular html font tags well. As a matter of fact, there is not font tag in the template.

[edit]
                    Ok, if anyone ever wants to know, just don't close the font tag.
                    Last edited by SloppyGoat; Sun 26 May '02, 1:52pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

For what it's worth, this is the section of the default forumhome template that controls this:

<!-- timezone/login-->
                      <table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="{ contenttablewidth}" { tableinvisibleextra} align="center">
                      <tr valign="top">
                      <td><smallfont>$timezone</smallfont></td>
                      <td align="right">$logincode</td>
                      </tr>
                      </table>
                      <!-- /timezone/login -->
                      As you can see in the default template this is defined by the <smallfont>.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                        • Feb 2002

Hmmmm, what worked for me was adding "<font color=#000000" to the timezone template. I had to leave the tag open though....strange.

Man, I'm finding more and more things that this smallfont overrides. That's just not right. I'm having to go through and edit all kinds of templates just because I want to specify my small font color? Doesn't everyone specify theirs???

I think vB should add one more font color to handle all of these. Either that, or make them coincide with the header font color, instead of smallfont.
                        Last edited by SloppyGoat; Sun 26 May '02, 2:02pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

As I said - I don't. And I've never had a problem getting the colors I wanted.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                            • Feb 2002

So what happens if you don't? It defaults to white or something? That just won't do.

Yep, it actually defaults to black, which is near invisible on a dark background.

All this....

"Members: 124, Threads: 1,173, Posts: 11,119
                            Welcome to our newest member,"

....text would be black, which, if you view my forum, would be a real problem on my background.
                            Last edited by SloppyGoat; Sun 26 May '02, 2:09pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

Please reread my earlier message. I already explained how the color works for smallfont.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                                • Feb 2002

Yes, I know. My point is, though.....none of those headers should've ever had smallfont tags. If they'd all just had regular font tags, they'd all change according to what the header font color is set to...instead of following suit with smallfonts. I'm not trying to be too critical, but it's something they should change in future versions, IMO.

I'm just saying....they should never be lumped together like that, whether you specify colors or not. Header fonts have nothing to do with the rest of the text, IMO. Especially since they don't even share the same background color, most of the time.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm nitpicking.....
                                Last edited by SloppyGoat; Sun 26 May '02, 2:37pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...