Just a pointer on those of you who user Dreamweaver to change your templates...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ABLady
    • Apr 2002

Just a pointer on those of you who user Dreamweaver to change your templates...

I've read many complain about Dreamweaver putting extra codes or messing transferred templates. So, it just happens that I'm extremely Pro in Dreamweaver and here are two pointers that will eliminate your problems with Dreamweaver:

Before pasting anything from vB into Dreamweaver do the following:

1. Open Dreamweaver:

Edit > Preferences... > Code Rewriting

....and then make sure to UNCHECK everything under "Code Rewriting" options. This will eliminate Dreamweaver adding it's own code or trying to correct parts of vB Codes which should not be touched and left alone. (For instance the parts of a table which happens to be in another template.....Dreamweaver thinks it's missing so it adds it for you, unless you have UNCHECKED everything under "Code Rewriting" options.)

2. When pasting vB templates into Dreamweaver, ALWAYS paste from the "Edit Mode" of the Dreamweaver and make sure to remove everything before pasting anything! In other words, you have to be in "Code View" mode before pasting things into Dreamweaver.

Hope this helps!

:cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:
  • Haakon
    • Jan 2001

Thanks ABlady, I didn`t know of these prefernces. They should be unchecked no matter what sort of site you`re making.

Comment

• Sinecure
      • Jul 2001

I don't even bother using dreamweaver when it comes to vb template modifications, its just to much hassle, I'll stick with notepad on that
      Board of the Month: November
      Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
      Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
      vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

• Haakon
        • Jan 2001

Well, that`s what`s good about dreamweaver, you can just use the graphical display as an enhancement and use the code display to work with (I just use it to place tables, and preview my work).

But I`m not doubting any purist will shrug that argument away, wouldn`t you?

Comment

• Dewayne
          • Mar 2002

Notepad all the way!

Comment

• neocivitas
            • Apr 2002

Notepad!

Comment

• werehere
              • Apr 2000

C'mon all, notepad sucks! Textpad or Ultraedit all the way...
              We're Here Forums!
              [email protected]

Comment

• Paul J
                • Sep 2001

No one that's good enough to code in a text only environment is using Notepad.

People that say they use notepad to edit HTML are full of ****.

Like werehere said...they are using Notetab or TextPad or Editplus.

Comment

• Sinecure
                  • Jul 2001

For quick template modifications I use notepad, If I am plannig a massive template modification that I have to really think about, I'll use Textpad, as I generally don't like the look of notepad
                  vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

Real men code only on clay tablets in the scorching desert sun!
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Sinecure
                      • Jul 2001

Originally posted by smachol
                      I use to do that until I found out about notepad :P

Comment

• snyx
                        • Aug 2000
                        • 3.5.x

no I still think dreamweaver is bunk for trying to really edit templates in the deisgn mode. you can't use variables (such as color ones) in the table BG's it wont allow you, you gotta pick some weird color (like #k5k5k5) and then find it in the edit mode, and change it by hand.

so... textpad hands down! ultaedit was confusing!!!
                        MSN: [email protected] | MAIL: [email protected] | FOLIO: mholman.com

Comment

• George L
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • May 2000
                          • 3.8.x

Re: Just a pointer on those of you who user Dreamweaver to change your templates...

Originally posted by ABLady
                          I've read many complain about Dreamweaver putting extra codes or messing transferred templates. So, it just happens that I'm extremely Pro in Dreamweaver and here are two pointers that will eliminate your problems with Dreamweaver:

Before pasting anything from vB into Dreamweaver do the following:

1. Open Dreamweaver:

Edit > Preferences... > Code Rewriting

....and then make sure to UNCHECK everything under "Code Rewriting" options. This will eliminate Dreamweaver adding it's own code or trying to correct parts of vB Codes which should not be touched and left alone. (For instance the parts of a table which happens to be in another template.....Dreamweaver thinks it's missing so it adds it for you, unless you have UNCHECKED everything under "Code Rewriting" options.)

2. When pasting vB templates into Dreamweaver, ALWAYS paste from the "Edit Mode" of the Dreamweaver and make sure to remove everything before pasting anything! In other words, you have to be in "Code View" mode before pasting things into Dreamweaver.

Hope this helps!
                          yup use DW as well.. for point #2 you can do the same in visual mode by ctrl+shift+V paste html code mode
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Mr. X
                            • May 2001

Ultraedit owns all, but thats just imo.
                            forums: pcfx.cc
                            gallery: here

Comment

• werehere
                              • Apr 2000

Originally posted by smachol
                              LOL!
                              We're Here Forums!
                              [email protected]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...