Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pHAZE_1
    • Mar 2002

problem uploading avatars

Warning: Unable to create '..//images/[name here].bmp': Permission denied in /home/hiphop/public_html/forums/admin/avatar.php on line 35

that is what i see when i upload avatars.. could someone please help me out?
  • c-prompt
    • Apr 2001

1. Folder needs to be chmodded 777.
    2. Make sure .bmp files are allowed. Normally only gif and jpg.

Comment

• pHAZE_1
      • Mar 2002

um i am pretty new to this and dont understand anything you just said. could you please make it so that i can understand you? sorry for the inconvenience..

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by pHAZE_1
        um i am pretty new to this and dont understand anything you just said. could you please make it so that i can understand you? sorry for the inconvenience..
        which upload avatar function are you talking about user end in User CP or admin end in the control panel /admin ?
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• pHAZE_1
          • Mar 2002

users can upload there own avatars fine.. but as admin i cant upload them from the CP. ??????????

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

when you upload avatars using upload function you need to specify a path to where you want to upload it

i.e.

/home/username/public_html/images/avatars

now have you chmod 777 the avatars directory using your ftp program ?
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• pHAZE_1
              • Mar 2002

what does that mean?

and the /home/username/public_html/images/avatars

home should be my domain?

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

what does that mean?

and the /home/username/public_html/images/avatars

home should be my domain?
                the full path is different on different hosts, your web host should of provided your with this info when you signed up

if not

create a file named phpinfo.php and place this code in it and post the url/link to it from your web site

<?
                phpinfo();
                ?>

i.e. yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php

which will tell you your server/account paths and other info

what ftp program are you using to upload vB php files to your site ?

Comment

• pHAZE_1
                  • Mar 2002

I am using cute FTP and where would i put the phpinfo.php file and what exactly do i put in the file?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

You can put it in your forums directory, and eva2000 already told you what the contents of the file should be:

<?
                    phpinfo();
                    ?>
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• George L
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • May 2000
                      • 3.8.x

I am using cute FTP and where would i put the phpinfo.php file and what exactly do i put in the file?
                      as steve said place the code i posted above in your phpinfo.php page

for cuteftp there are manuals at http://www.cuteftp.com/support/manuals.shtml

and do a search at www.google.com for 'cuteftp tutorials chmod' and you'll find all the how tos for using your ftp program

i.e.

Comment

• pHAZE_1
                        • Mar 2002

i know how to use the cuteFTP but im not experienced at all with vbulletin and didnt know where to put the file. thanks but when i uploaded the avatar i still had the same error message..

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

That file was not designed to fix the problem. It's designed to give us the information that may help us fix the problem. Of course to do that you'll need to post the URL to it so we can take a look.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Here's the URL to your phpinfo.php file:

Offhand I don't see anything that would cause a problem uploading. However I notice you never answered c-prompt's questions:

1. Folder needs to be chmodded 777.
                            2. Make sure .bmp files are allowed. Normally only gif and jpg.
                            In addition, go to:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Avatars

...and check the Maximum Dimensions and File Size. Now do you have for these fields, and what is the size and dimension of the BMP file you are trying to upload?

Also, please post the 'exact' error message you get. If it really is:

Warning: Unable to create '..//images/[name here].bmp': Permission denied
                            ...then the double slash may be your problem. Make sure the image path in your style does not end with a slash.

If you still have problems after all this, then you'll need to remove all your hacks and upload the original vB files before we can go any further.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• pHAZE_1
                              • Mar 2002

Warning: Unable to create '../public_html/forums/images/avatars/bboy5.bmp': No such file or directory in /home/hiphop/public_html/forums/admin/avatar.php on line 35

is the exact error message

1. Folder needs to be chmodded 777. (???????????????????)

.bmp .gif .jpg and a few others are allowed
                              max dimensions are 120 and max file size is 200000

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...