X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anguilla1980
    • Nov 2002
    • 5.1.x

[vB3] IE not recognizing what Firefox does

I have all of my text auto re-sizing based on browser size, which works great in Firefox (37), but when I tested it in IE (11) it doesn't recognize it. Same problem for my fixed forum background image and my transparency affect. I'm using v3.8.8 Patch Level 1 (I have an owned license but haven't renewed, when is Vb 6 coming out?).

For the dynamic text I'm using:
    1.5vmin

For the dynamic forum logo I'm using:
    width="25%" height="25%"

For the transparent forum affect I'm using:
    rgba(240, 240, 240, 0.1) !important;

Any help on how I can get IE to recognize this, I'd appreciate it! I tried changing my docutype to <!DOCTYPE html> (for HTML5) but that didn't work either. I did it because it did seem to help IE work better on the non-vb pages of my site that use the above code.

What's weird is I'm using the exact same code on other regular (non-vb) pages of my website and IE recognizes them just fine! IE just doesn't recognize the code via StyleVars, but Firefox does! Kinda frustrating lol.

EDIT: While we are on the subject, I can't for the life of me find where to change from px to vmin for the main forum title text it's self, where the heck is this hidden? That's the only text on my entire forum that doesn't dynamically autosize :/

Thanks!

Alex
    Last edited by anguilla1980; Tue 5 May '15, 5:16pm.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Internet Explorer only has partial support for Viewport units: http://caniuse.com/#feat=viewport-units

If there is CSS applied to the logo image, IE will use that. Using CSS instead of the width and height attributes is better these days.

IE 11 should support CSS3 Colors. You might try using hsla instead. You'll need to research this on the Technet site. http://caniuse.com/#feat=css3-colors

Changing the doctype in vBulletin 3 will probably break a bunch of things unless you've completely rewritten the templates to support HTML5.

Any text attributes will probably be defined on the Main CSS of the page. As this is about a decade old, it doesn't really take into account modern technology.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• anguilla1980
      • Nov 2002
      • 5.1.x

Ok thanks, I appreciate it. I know it's very old lol. I'm super weak in css so I have been avoiding that. I'll set the docutype back to default and read into what you suggested.

Odd IE works using the vmin just fine on me non-vb pages. I'll check out hsla.

EDIT: Got IE to see my background image transparency!

Thanks!

Alex
      Last edited by anguilla1980; Tue 5 May '15, 10:54am.

Comment

• anguilla1980
        • Nov 2002
        • 5.1.x

Dang, I still can't get IE to recognize Lucida Handwriting font. I know IE has this font by default, and it works from other html pages of my site just fine. But when I use it in the VB css settings, only FF sees it. Grrr lol.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

How are you defining the font within the CSS?

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• anguilla1980
            • Nov 2002
            • 5.1.x

Lucida handwriting with the ' at either end because it's 2 words. I've tried it with a ' and also a " to no avail.

It's a super common font that I know IE 11 has by default because it see it no problem on all other regular HTML pages I have, weird...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Without seeing the CSS code that was asked for, I can't provide any other help. Different browsers render HTML and CSS according to their own Rules even if they are following standards. Microsoft via Internet Explorer continually breaks many of the standards because it causes problems in their outdated code engines. You would have to visit compatibility sites to see if IE requires custom tags for whatever you're trying to do.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• anguilla1980
                • Nov 2002
                • 5.1.x

In all of the font fields of the css attributes in the stylevars I literally have it just

'Lucida handwriting'

I'm not sure what other code I could post. I removed all of the 5 or so default font names in each field that were listed and replaced it with just that.

I'll keep doing more searching.

Here is a link to my forums, they are turned off but you can still see the difference between FF and IE. Perhaps from there you can see how it's trying to interpret the code. Sorry I'm not too great at this stuff.

*Removed*
                Last edited by anguilla1980; Wed 6 May '15, 10:12am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Here is the CSS that I asked for:
                  Code:
                  td, th, p, li
                  {
                      font: 1.5vmin 'Lucida Handwriting';
                  }
                  As IE doesn't support vmin properly, everything after that is broken code and won't be processed. You will need to specify a font-family to allow IE to use the font.

Code:
                  font-family: 'Lucida Handwriting';

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• anguilla1980
                    • Nov 2002
                    • 5.1.x

Ok, thanks. I'm using vmin just fine in my regular HTML pages and IE ha zero issues with it. I'll try to modify the vb css to use font-family. I think I'll try the option for vb to save the css as files so I can edit them manually to change that.

Thanks! Alex
                    Last edited by anguilla1980; Wed 6 May '15, 10:36am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...