Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiokarmallc
    • Jun 2008

How to remove bars between channels

See the attached screen grab. I just upgraded from 3.8.6 to 5.1.5. How do I remove the bars between the channels (forums)?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Try modifying the stylevar primary_module_subheader_background.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• glennrocksvb
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

That will just change the background. If you want to remove it, you have to hide it via custom CSS in css_additional.css

Code:
      .forum-list-container .category-header { display: none; }

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

They are category bars...they appear blank like that because no categories have been set.

Create a category and move all the forums under that category.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• audiokarmallc
          • Jun 2008

I went into channel (forum) management and my categories are still there (channel =no) with the appropriate sub forums set (channel=yes and parent set) I don't see any blank categories yet every channel and every category has a blank category bar? Is this an error during upgrade or the standard for how the upgrade handles all channels and categories and how do I remove them?

See the attached screen grab. Even the category has an additional blank category bar.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by audiokarmallc; Tue 3 Mar '15, 5:14am. Reason: add pic

Comment

• Replicant
            • Sep 2014

It can all be done in the Admincp channel manager. Recreate the categories you have on the old forum, then move each forum into the appropriate category. It's literally three clicks per forum and shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes.

Comment

• audiokarmallc
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Replicant
              It can all be done in the Admincp channel manager. Recreate the categories you have on the old forum, then move each forum into the appropriate category. It's literally three clicks per forum and shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes.
              So, delete the existing categories and make new ones? I think this is a flaw in vBulletin if it cannot migrate the existing structure. I have over 100 forums (channels).

Comment

• Replicant
                • Sep 2014

No, don't delete anything.

Just for example:

Create your category : "Audiokarma Off Topic Forums" , then move the forums "General Off Topic Forums", "Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water", "Sports & Outdoor Adventure", "Cooking & Spirits", "Musical Instruments", and "Cameras and Photography" into that new Category.

Comment

• audiokarmallc
                  • Jun 2008

No, don't delete anything.

Just for example:

Create your category : "Audiokarma Off Topic Forums" , then move the forums "General Off Topic Forums", "Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water", "Sports & Outdoor Adventure", "Cooking & Spirits", "Musical Instruments", and "Cameras and Photography" into that new Category.
                  What happens to the existing category? Or do I delete those after the move?

EDIT: just went into the admin console and tried to create a new channel and when I hit save, nothing happens. Something is broken.
                  Last edited by audiokarmallc; Tue 3 Mar '15, 7:11am.

Comment

• Replicant
                    Replicant commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can you do a screenshot of your channel manager where it lists all the forums?
                • Replicant
                  • Sep 2014

If Audiokarma Off Topic Forums already exists, click edit, set act as channel to no, then move those other forums into it, set each forum act as channel to yes.

Comment

• audiokarmallc
                    • Jun 2008

If Audiokarma Off Topic Forums already exists, click edit, set act as channel to no, then move those other forums into it, set each forum act as channel to yes.
                    It is already set channel = no. That is why I think there is an issue because even channels set to no have a an additional category bar below it.

Comment

• audiokarmallc
                      • Jun 2008

OK I tried something new. I did create a AK General Forums category. I then moved one of the channels from Audiokarma General Forums. The channel I moved still has the blank category bar below it. FYI any changes I make take from 30 seconds to over a minute to happen. My old site was never this slow. We run a dual server configuration for this site.

Comment

• Replicant
                        Replicant commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Did you set the forum you moved to act as channel=yes?
                        Sounds like a server config issue on the amount of time it's taking to make changes. Mine is damn near instantaneous.
                    • audiokarmallc
                      • Jun 2008

Yes the forum is set to act as a channel. All the setting are correct for Category, Channel and sub Channels but all have the blank category bar below them. Is this how vB5 handles an upgrade or did something mess up during the process?

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

A category has to be directly below the "Forum" channel in order to act as a category in the true sense.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• audiokarmallc
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Mark.B
                          A category has to be directly below the "Forum" channel in order to act as a category in the true sense.
                          Why do they work fine in 3.8.6 but are messed up when upgraded to 5.1.5?

Categories are all set to parent channel = forum

Comment