• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaali
    • Jul 2012
    • 4.2.X

[vB4] Removing and Adding Primary Sections

Hi All,

I currently have four main headings on my site, those being 'Home', 'Forum', 'Blogs' and 'What's New?'.

I want to get rid of the 'Blogs' link, but would like to add in a new section that works a little like the 'Home' button, allowing multiple sections under it.

To give you some context to this, it is for reviews of certain locations. So for example, if I wanted to review a location in USA, when the review is published, it will go onto The Front Page, but also be filed under the heading 'Locations' (which I want to replace the 'Blogs' heading) and the subsection 'USA'.

I am also having trouble deleting the sections loaded when vBulletin was installed, such as 'Food' and 'Dessert'. It will only allow me to delete sections I have created since installation. The section navigator seems very clunky.

Any help is much appreciated!
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

If you are running 4.2.x, there is a Navigation Manager entry in AdminCP that you can use to Remove/Add/Change navbar elements.

With regards to the non-deleteable Sections, have you ensured they have no Articles attached to them?
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Jaali
      • Jul 2012
      • 4.2.X

Hi Ace,

Thanks for your help - cleared up that non-deleteable section as per your advice. I am still having trouble with the navbar.

I have removed the Blog element, which is great. However, when I try to add the Locations element, it is asking for a Target URL. Well, there really isn't one. I created a section for it, which which has a link of 'content.php?118-locations' so I added this in as the target URL. Which kind of worked - it sent me to that page, however 'Home' on the navbar remains highlighted, and the subsections under the navbar are as if you were on the 'Home' page.

It's as if I need to create a whole new page to link it to, something like locations.php? However, I'm unsure how to do this.

Perhaps I'm playing a little out of my league, but I'd love to get this working so any help is appreciated!

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

To make the tab highlight, put the script name in the last box of the Navigation Manager - Edit screen.

In this case, it would be: vbcms
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Jaali
          • Jul 2012
          • 4.2.X

If I am reading you correctly, I put vbcms in the 'Tab Script(s)' section, however it has had no effect.

Each of the other tabs has it's own page. For example, 'The Home Page' has content.php, the Forum has forum.php, 'What's New' has activity.php. It's as if it needs it's own 'page'. As mentioned, I really need the subheadings just like the Home section has, rather than the same subsections as the Home page has. At this point, the highlighted tab is not a primary concern.

Any other solutions you could suggest?

Comment

• Ace
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

Ahhh. This is an Article, but you don't want the Article tab to highlight? You want a separate tab that highlights?

Comment

• Jaali
              • Jul 2012
              • 4.2.X

Here is an image from the site with the current tabs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tabs.png
Views:	1
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	3689610

I want the 'The Dive Log' tab to act in the same manner as the 'Home' tab does. Currently it is just a tab linked to a section. I want it to have a whole new set of subsections.

The Section Navigator currently looks like this:

> The Front Page
              > > News
              > > Competitions
              > > Editor Bio's
              > > Why xxxxxxxx?
              > > Dives

When I forsee it looking like this if the additional tab could be implimented:

> The Front Page
              > > News
              > > Competitions
              > > Editor Bio's
              > > Why xxxxxxxx?
              > Dives
              > > Australia
              > > New Zealand
              > > USA

The highlighting or not of tabs is currently not my primary objective, getting the tab working like the 'Home' tab is.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to make this happen?

Comment

• Jaali
                • Jul 2012
                • 4.2.X

Anyone able to offer any advice? All help is appreciated!

Comment

• Ace
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.2.X

This might help, I'm afraid I haven't delved that deeply to be able to give a definitive answer.

Comment

• Jaali
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 4.2.X

Another bump. Anyone able to help?

Also - thanks for all your help, Ace.

Comment

• Jaali
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 4.2.X

Bump - I'm getting a little desperate to solve this problem now. Timelines looming!

Comment

• Jaali
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 4.2.X

Bump - this project has been put on the back-burner, but is back on top of the list. Any help appreciated.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...