Is it possible to use a different set of post icons?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LaBella
    • Nov 2005
    • 4.2.x

[vB4] Is it possible to use a different set of post icons?

The standard ones in vb4 are not cutting it for me and I want to know how, if at all, I can use some of my own. I lack technical knowledge and am openly asking for help.
    JerzeeDevil
  • AzhriaLilu
    • Aug 2003

Yes you can, just upload them to the images/icons of your chosen style or use the Upload New Post Icon via the ACP and then use the Add new Post Icon option in the same section
    I know violence isn't the answer . . . I got it wrong on purpose
    Rep Owners - New forum for reptile owners/lovers
    sigpic

Comment

• LaBella
      • Nov 2005
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by AzhriaLilu
      Yes you can, just upload them to the images/icons of your chosen style or use the Upload New Post Icon via the ACP and then use the Add new Post Icon option in the same section
      Slower, and in *English* please, LOL! (I jest, I jest) I still have the vb3 ones in there apparently, but I would have to edit them for each style? Break it down for me, please & THANK YOU! (if you can list the steps)
      JerzeeDevil

Comment

• AzhriaLilu
        • Aug 2003

No problem.

If you log into your admin control panel, scroll down the left hand until you see the Post Icons section. Click on the little icon at the end to open the options. Select "Upload Post Icon". You'll see a new page open on the right hand side, giving you the option to find the image you want to use from your computer. Click "Choose File", select the image, give it a name in the Title box, leave the url for the location alone if you want to use the same post icons on all styles. Then click upload.

this can be a bit of a tedious job if you have a lot, since this method means you can only upload one at a time.

If you know how to use FTP, then you can make things a bit quicker by uploading a bulk amount of images to your images/icons folder and then using the "Add Post Icon" option within the Post Icon section. Select Add Multiple Post Icons, and click Add post Icons
        sigpic

Comment

• LaBella
          • Nov 2005
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by AzhriaLilu
          No problem.

If you log into your admin control panel, scroll down the left hand until you see the Post Icons section. Click on the little icon at the end to open the options. Select "Upload Post Icon". You'll see a new page open on the right hand side, giving you the option to find the image you want to use from your computer. Click "Choose File", select the image, give it a name in the Title box, leave the url for the location alone if you want to use the same post icons on all styles. Then click upload.

this can be a bit of a tedious job if you have a lot, since this method means you can only upload one at a time.

If you know how to use FTP, then you can make things a bit quicker by uploading a bulk amount of images to your images/icons folder and then using the "Add Post Icon" option within the Post Icon section. Select Add Multiple Post Icons, and click Add post Icons
          OK. I got there on my own and decided to start this thread. Look at me go!

Would they all have to be png files or does that matter, and lastly (for now) will this affect older posts with other images already in place. I think that I will like to use the entire set of vb3 (older) post icons and swap out 1 or 2, in all reality.
          JerzeeDevil

Comment

• AzhriaLilu
            • Aug 2003

So long as you overwrite them with the same names, then you'll have no issues with existing posts. PNG's are the best format, but it's not a huge issue, unless you're using images that have background colours - that could look messing on different styles if they have different backgrounds to those used on the images

Obviously, if your existing files are PNGs and you upload JPEGS or GIFS then they won't replace the existing images in existing posts, so you'll have that issue to contend with.
            sigpic

Comment

• LaBella
              • Nov 2005
              • 4.2.x

So, rename the old ones to the same name, save them as PNGs and upload them to the same folder place? OOoofa!
              JerzeeDevil

Comment