X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Silvertree
    • Aug 2011
    • 4.2.X

[vB4] Custom Forum Icons

I would like to put a different custom icon in each forumbit in between the status icon and the title/description.

What code do I need? Where?

What variable do I test to decide which icon to use?

Which folder do the icons go in?

What are the names of the templates I need to modify and where/how do I access the correct part of the css?

How do I keep from getting these modifications wiped out in upgrades?

I know that is a lot of questions, but I am new at this and have never worked on a vBulletin forum before.

JFTR: It is vB4.1.5

Thanks
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

I'd suggest doing a search over on vbulletin.org, the modification site, because I believe there is a modification that does this. It has also been discussed several times over there.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Mike Silvertree
      • Aug 2011
      • 4.2.X

Thanks.

I did some searching there before I post a question. I came across this thread.

In the last post, Hoffi, a German vB staff member, says there is a way to do it using the standard features, but does not describe how.

Do you have any idea what he is talking about?

In this thread I detail how I screwed up the Forum manager last night trying to figure out a way by manipulating the editable fields.

I now know one way that doesn't work.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

There is a way to use the standard features and set a unique status icon per forum, but you said you still wanted to use the regular status icons. What he is talking about is in Forum Manager > edit forum > Prefix for Forum Status Images . That allows you to have different status icons for a forum.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Mike Silvertree
          • Aug 2011
          • 4.2.X

Thanks. That will do. Much appreciated.

I am just trying to find something that will work. I am reluctant to mess with the code or css and prefer a solution that preserves the factory software. I can have the artist put markers on the icons to make a new message version of the forum icon and do it that way.

Comment

• racersimage
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Lynne
            There is a way to use the standard features and set a unique status icon per forum.
            How would this be done?

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

Forums & Moderators > Forum Manager > Prefix for Forum Status Images

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...