X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter M Dodge
    • Jul 2011
    • 4.1.x

[vB4] Is this possible?

I have a client Giorgio that I am building a NFL-related site for using vB 4 Publishing Suite for, and we were discussing ideas for the site. One of the points upon which we agreed was the more we could 'meld' the forum and the CMS together to make them seamlessly push the selling points of the traffic the better off we would be.

One idea we had was that we have a page for each team that we are adding, with things like stats, win/loss trends, and so forth. I had the idea that it would be really neat if we could "transclude" (to borrow some wikipedia terminology) the posts in the forum for each team, on the team page in the CMS, say like the last 10 posts to the relevant forum.

I have been reading through the documentation however I have not found it helpful on the subject so I thought I would ask here: is it possible to include the last 10 posts to a SPECIFIC forum on a CMS page?

Publishing suite involved is 4.1.5 Patch level 1.

Cheers,
    Peter M Dodge
  • reefland
    • Sep 2000

It is, but it is a bit of a work around.

Each team would have their own section in the CMS:
    NFL Team
    - Bears
    - Bengals
    - Eagles
    - etc.

Each of these sections would also have a different style. This would allow you to modify the color scheme of the page for each team. Then, each team would also have their own layout created for the CMS.

Edit the section page and assign the section the style and layout corresponding to the team.

Now, you can create a widget that pulls forum posts from a specific forum, and place that widget in the layout that matches the team.
    sigpic
    Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

• Peter M Dodge
      • Jul 2011
      • 4.1.x

That is a start thank you!

Is there a way for a widget to "know" what page or layout it is on, so I can have one consolidated widget? Or would the performance tradeoff with all the conditional code be too much? Hmm. I will have to experiment.

Cheers,
      Peter M Dodge

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Not really, but since each layout would only be used on TEAMX's pages, and widgets can be assigned per layout. EAch widget would be revelant to the correct data.

Comment

• Peter M Dodge
          • Jul 2011
          • 4.1.x

The problem I have with this is it makes the widget listing kinda spammy. I wish there was a way to categorise widgets for easier browsing of that listing. Off to vbulletin.org to see if someone has a mod!

Cheers,
          Peter M Dodge

Comment

• reefland
            • Sep 2000

If $parentnodeid was available in the article template, it would be a little easier. I have a feature request in for this.
            sigpic
            Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...