The designer needs the CSS file, which file should I give him?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Suli
    • Apr 2009

[vB3] The designer needs the CSS file, which file should I give him?

Hi.

Someone will design a style for me in Photoshop but he also need the main CSS file so he can change colors, fotnts, etc. Which CSS file should I give him? and where can I find that?

Thanks
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

There is no CSS file for vB that can be used for this purpose.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Hawk2
      • Apr 2008
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Mr.Suli
      Hi.

Someone will design a style for me in Photoshop but he also need the main CSS file so he can change colors, fotnts, etc. Which CSS file should I give him? and where can I find that?

Thanks
      dont trust him any one that makes skins know he does not need any info like this from you and if he is a real skin maker and asking for the main css i would be asking myself does he know what he is even doing

Comment

• napy8gen
        • Jul 2001
        • 6.X

Originally posted by Hawk2
        dont trust him any one that makes skins know he does not need any info like this from you and if he is a real skin maker and asking for the main css i would be asking myself does he know what he is even doing
        agree
        Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• 3d3
          • Jul 2011

I think the last two answers are arrogant and not related to the original post. Please constructively answer the question. CSS files are a standard, so we need access to the CSS files. I for one think the style app you have is archaic. Please provide proper means to access styles without the need to use the interface. I am a new user and a css pro who is having trouble with what should be an easy process. Not everyone has the time to go onto the forum or to figure out how on earth your styling app works -- which is very buggy by the way and not user friendly.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by 3d3
            I think the last two answers are arrogant and not related to the original post. Please constructively answer the question. CSS files are a standard, so we need access to the CSS files. I for one think the style app you have is archaic. Please provide proper means to access styles without the need to use the interface. I am a new user and a css pro who is having trouble with what should be an easy process. Not everyone has the time to go onto the forum or to figure out how on earth your styling app works -- which is very buggy by the way and not user friendly.
            Unfortunately what you are asking is currently not available and would require a major rewriting of the software, which is not likely in the near to intermediate term. Sorry.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Further to what Steve said. The stylevar system doesn't have to be used. Nothing would stop you from applying your own css file to vBulletin except you not doing so.

You can add a style sheet to vBulletin by editing the headinclude template and including it, you can also remove the current css the same way,

You can edit the css templates directly (not recomened) by editing the CSS template groups.
              You can add css overrides to additional.css (gets called last in the headinclude on 99% of the pages).

Comment

• 3d3
                • Jul 2011

Thanks Steve,

Do you have a quick guide on how to mod the styles? I am in a rush and need to get this done. I cannot choose another system which offers easy access to styles -- mainly due to non graphics people not considering my role at work.

I must say, this is a major turn off of the system as I am now questioning other areas of the system which may also suffer the same fate? I think this is a major priority, for one, it is a paid system where I would expect to be able to access css directly. Have a look at your free competition.

Cheers,

Angelo

Comment

• KW802
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by 3d3
                  The responses may have been blunt but not arrogant as they were properly informing the OP that if a skin designer they have hired to work on vB is asking for such a file then perhaps that designer is the wrong choice as it would mean that they have no prior experience with working with the vBulletin software. There is a reason why exceptionally skilled vB designers, and, more importantly, vB design coders, are hard to find & are often in demand.

Originally posted by Zachery
                  You can edit the css templates directly (not recomened) by editing the CSS template groups.
                  You can add css overrides to additional.css (gets called last in the headinclude on 99% of the pages).
                  But not in vB3 (if the OP really meant "vB3" in the thread title and not vB4).
                  [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• 3d3
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Zachery
                    Further to what Steve said. The stylevar system doesn't have to be used. Nothing would stop you from applying your own css file to vBulletin except you not doing so.

You can add a style sheet to vBulletin by editing the headinclude template and including it, you can also remove the current css the same way,

Thanks heaps Zachery,

Not the best solution but, it will surely do the trick!

Cheers,

Angelo

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...