• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackHoster
    • Jun 2010

[vB4] Modification problem

Modification problem
    hello guys
    i have a problem actually it's really like a pain in the *** i tried to live with it but no way anymore , every time i try to edit any of the templates for example (header) or postbut_legacy i just find that the template was GONE i don't know why or how it looks really very strange ..BTW I'm using the default theme my vb is 4.0.6 i have already stopped all the hacks and mods before and i tried many ways to figure out the problem but i still have the same thing can anyone help me please with any idea i would appreciate it . Regard
    already posted on vBulletin.org
    but still without answer
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Sorry, but it's not clear what you are asking. So let's start at the beginning.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all products (except vB Blog and vB CMS if you are running the Suite.)

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Disable

Then manually uncheck all plugins that are not for 'vBulletin Blog' and vBulletin CMS' here:

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Plugin Manager

You must do BOTH of those steps in order to disable all non vBulletin Modifications.

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• BlackHoster
      • Jun 2010

damn something is wrong with the forum here i have already posted my reply 2 times

edit: anyways I'm planning to upgrade my forum next week should i upload the files with ASCII format or with the normal way ?? i think this way will help too ....i really hope

thank you for your help btw
      Last edited by BlackHoster; Tue 26 Oct '10, 5:33am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Uploading non-image files as ASCII is the normal way they should be uploaded.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• BlackHoster
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Sorry, but it's not clear what you are asking. So let's start at the beginning.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all products (except vB Blog and vB CMS if you are running the Suite.)

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Disable

Then manually uncheck all plugins that are not for 'vBulletin Blog' and vBulletin CMS' here:

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Plugin Manager

You must do BOTH of those steps in order to disable all non vBulletin Modifications.

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
          even after i did the update i'm still facing the same problem

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Can you please provide a link and explain the problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

You said you did and upgrade and still have the problem, but you never said you did what Steve asked you to do which is disable all your plugins and see if you still have this problem. Have you tried that?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• BlackHoster
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Lynne
                You said you did and upgrade and still have the problem, but you never said you did what Steve asked you to do which is disable all your plugins and see if you still have this problem. Have you tried that?
                it wasn't the first time to do upgrade or update ....the problem is for example if i wanna edit the postbit_legacy template after i click save and i go back to search for it under the list it's just gone that simple

please have a look on the following photos btw my forum is in arabic

so here when i search for the template postbit_legacy for example

it shows me what i'm looking for

but if i open that file and click save
                and try to search for it again i find it gone

and redirect me back to the main page of the styles ......i hope i explained the situation well

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Aug 2002
                  • 5.7.X

Have you re-uploaded the files?
                  Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                  - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• BlackHoster
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                    Have you re-uploaded the files?
                    which files exactly ?? cuz i just uploaded the main files of the forum with the old normal files like photos links .....etc that's all

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Aug 2002
                      • 5.7.X

All vBulletin files as per Steve's post above.
                      Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• BlackHoster
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                        All vBulletin files as per Steve's post above.
                        i swear i did these steps so many times and tried it so many times

Comment

• Lynne
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Oct 2004

So, you have uploaded all the files and verified they are OK under Maintenence > Diagnostics > Suspect File Versions?

And, you have disabled all plugins via the config.php file?

What shows up under Maintenance > Diagnostics > Problematic Webserver Modules? Do either say Yes? Disable them (talk to your web host) and then see if you still have the problem.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...