Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greeksgal
    • Jul 2006

Change Background colour via CSS, How?

I want to change the colour of the main forum where all the catagories are listed. It's the cream background colour in the attachment.

I can't find any way to change it at all and I've looked EVERYWHERE.

I've searched the templates for the hex number of the background colour and cannot find it. I've also transferred ALL the image folders over to my desktop and changed the colours of anything remotely similar and that doesn't work either.

Also, I can't seem to change the colour around the quick reply text box or the box at the top when you click private messages that has the "Folder Controls" on it.

Any ideas? Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Greeksgal; Thu 9 Jul '09, 6:05pm.
  • eJM
    • Sep 2004
    • 3.8.x

The background used in the forum list is alt1. If you change alt1, it will change the color wherever alt1 is used (do a template search for class="alt1" and you'll see where that is - or just look at the various pages of your forum and see that same color used.

You can edit the templates of only the places you want a different color and change it to alt3. Then you will have to create a new class called alt3 in the Additional CSS Definitions box in All Style Options of the style you want to change. I did this and this is the CSS I used:
    Code:
    .alt3 {background:#FEECA5;color:#000;}
    I'm sure you will want a different background color, but don't neglect to also call a font color - whenever you use a background or a font color, you also have to use the other.

R'gards,

Jim
    If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
    www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Greeksgal
      • Jul 2006

I appreciate the response but due to my dumbness I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

How do I change alt1?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

To change the colors of your forum, please follow these steps:

Go to the ACP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > MainCSS (from the drop menu).

This screen will list all the colors. If you know your color codes for each section, then enter the 3 or 6 digit code here.

If you do not know your color codes, then clicking on the color swatches for each item will open a palette that will allow you to choose the color you want.

You can see color maps that tell you what sections affect which part of the forums by visiting http://www.vbulletin.com/go/colormaps

You can find a tutorial on using color with CSS at http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_colors.asp
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Greeksgal
          • Jul 2006

Ok, so using the colour maps I wish to change No.6 on Forum Home which says it's "first alternating colour". I have the first alternating colour set to #ffffff which should be white, but it's not white on my forum home as you can see from the screenshot. Nothing I do changes that colour, it's always an off white, creamy colour.

Comment

• Greeksgal
            • Jul 2006

Anyone any ideas?

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
              • Feb 2005
              • 1.1.x

It is a monitor setting and or browser... It has to be the monitor, as I reset color(colour) temperature to top values and it is blinding white... If you like to strain your eyes and get a resulting headache, then reset your default monitor values. I thought it may have been the layers, but then you would be dealing with .png images and that is not the issue at all.

Comment

• Greeksgal
                • Jul 2006

It's not a monitor setting. I have duel screen on my desktop PC and it's the same colour on both and I have it on my laptop and it's the same colour on that, an off white. If I change my forum style to the VB basic, the background is white, as it should be. Google background is white as it should be. My forum is off white.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 1.1.x

After returning to your site and do another comparison with vBulletins default style, it seems that you have something that seems to override those colors and it maybe be one of those modifications. I use the 'Developer Tools' that you can find on your browser bar tools and was not even able to remove the dull white color. It seems that you might have a modification that causes this off-white color, but do not know more in helping you thoght this, as you might need to disable your addon to see what is going on. I went to another site and they seem to have that color once you remove all background colors. I do not know if that is a result of having modification and or not using your original default style.

I would not be able to help you any futher, as you need someone to access those styles or give a link to exact free style...

Comment

• Greeksgal
                    • Jul 2006

I disabled the mods via the config file and it's still the same colour. Is there any template change I might have missed that can alter the background colour? I searched my templates for the hex number and found two instances of it, changed them both to white and saved but no joy that way either. As far as I know, none of my plugins are anything to do with the style of the forum.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 1.1.x

Try doing what is mentioned in number #3 again and right after do number #4.
                      1. Try uploading original vBulletin version non-image files in ASCII mode (except install.php and images folder) to overwrite those on server

2. You can just try this to see if you have any files that do not belong or have not been overwritten from an upgrade.
                        Admin Control Panel > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]
                      3. Disable plugins from file includes/config.php and add this right under <?php on the next empty line or uninstall any modification(s) that have not been updated to work with new vBulletin stable release

PHP Code:
                        <?php
                        /*======================================================================*\
                        || #################################################################### ||
                        || # vBulletin 3.8.3 - Licence Number -------
                        || # ---------------------------------------------------------------- # ||
                        || # All PHP code in this file is ©2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. # ||
                        || # This file may not be redistributed in whole or significant part. # ||
                        || # ---------------- VBULLETIN IS NOT FREE SOFTWARE ---------------- # ||
                        || # http://www.vbulletin.com | http://www.vbulletin.com/license.html # ||
                        || #################################################################### ||
                        \*======================================================================*/
                        Code:
                        <?php
                        [B][COLOR="Red"]define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);[/COLOR][/B]
                        || #################################################################### ||
                        || # vBulletin 3.8.3 - Licence Number --------
                        || # ---------------------------------------------------------------- # ||
                        || # All PHP code in this file is ©2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. # ||
                        || # This file may not be redistributed in whole or significant part. # ||
                        || # ---------------- VBULLETIN IS NOT FREE SOFTWARE ---------------- # ||
                        || # http://www.vbulletin.com | http://www.vbulletin.com/license.html # ||
                        || #################################################################### ||

4. To create a new style, click the [Add New Style] link underneath the main body of the Style Manager.

This will bring up the Add New Style interface. You then choose [No Parent Style], next view using new style and do you still get this message.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...