X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drpepper99uk
    • Dec 2008

Banner Headaches Once Again!!!

Hi,

I apologise if this is not in the correct place. I'm having trouble in making the custom header banner fit properly for my Vbulletin forum. What has happened is that I have managed to upload the new custom banner just fine, however this is a gap on the right hand side which seem's to be never filled as so the banner itself is not showing all the images inside it.

1180x125 is the size of the banner that I had made which was also the size of the blank area intended for it.I can't seem to work out why this is happening.I've tried editing the banner several times with no luck. You can see the banner itself by visiting:

www.sheppeydigital.co.uk

Yours,

Michael.
  • eJM
    • Sep 2004
    • 3.8.x

I usually don't like offering support on sites that force me to join to help them. I realize you prob'ly think just the login page is all one would need to see, but it's not. I looked at the source code and see that you have several images that aren't showing up, but I can't access those images because I'd have to join to do it. I ain't gonna do that. Open the forum for guests whenever you need help.

What I did find out is you have some broken code. It's only 24 errors on that page, but it would help if you or the theme designer cleaned that up. If it's something the theme designer caused, shame, shame. vBulletin is not broken. If a designer breaks it, they should fix it. Plain and simple. If they argue that point, don't honor them by using their broken code and designs. Pretty ain't all there is to a website.

Now, for your logo. This is what it looks like you have in your header template's logo area:
    Code:
    <!-- logo -->
    <a name="top"></a>
    <table border="0" width="$stylevar[outertablewidth]" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="center">
    <tr>
    	<td style="width:1190px; height: 125px; background-image:url(smooth/misc/header_banner.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat;"></td>
    	<td style="background-image:url(smooth/misc/header_banner_bg.jpg);">
    		<if condition="$ad_location['ad_header_logo']">$ad_location[ad_header_logo]<else />&nbsp;</if>
    	</td>
                 <td style="width: 41px; background-image: url(smooth/misc/header_banner_right.gif); background-repeat:no-repeat;"></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <!-- /logo -->
    Looks like you have 3 images as backgrounds, but only part of the first one is showing. Since it's apparent there's at least one image used below your logo on that page that gives a red X, you may have other images missing. Can't tell without access beyond the stupid login box.

I can't figure out why you're using so many images, but that may be more obvious if I could actually see the images. But you know, that big ol' header banner is a huge file size and it's gonna give a lot of visitors pause - especially for a site specializing in digital imaging that should know how to optimize images to reduce file size without reducing quality.

Anyway, you have 2 <td>'s that don't have anything in them (backgrounds don't count). So, the only way the <td> will be filled with anything is if you put some content or a place holder in it. You have &nbsp; in one and I suspect it's the one on the far right that is cutting off your background used on the far left. The other <td> doesn't have anything, so you can't even see it, but it's likely sitting to the right of the one you have &nbsp; in, just waiting for some content so it can open up.

Why didn't you just use your large banner for the background of the <table> element itself? It would fill all the backgrounds of the <td>'s and all you'd have to do is put something in those elements to make them the height you want. If it were me, I'da made a nice, small file size image to use for the <table> background - maybe the scenes of the city and sea scapes, only wider so it would stretch with the users choice of browser width. Then crop out the baby and your logo text and make that the image in the first <td> and the second <td> could be used just the way the vBulletin designers intended - either your &nbsp; or a banner ad. It would look good, your logo would become a link anywhere on your site for the user to get back to the home page and you would have less code clutter and smaller file size.

Well, it's 3AM here, so I'm gonna stop now. Work on it and you can make it a better WWW (an allusion to MJ - RIP).
    If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
    www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...