Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Almokla
    • Apr 2009

How can I add a "Home" tab in my forum?

What I have now is the standard vBulletin forum installed..

I would love if I could make my forum look like this http://www.avsforum.com/

How easy it is to do that? I would like to have my home page like the one displayed on the link..

Thanks in advance
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

1. They're using vBAdvanced as a portal over there so you may want to look into that.

2. They've either edited the style themselves or downloaded/bought one/paid for it to be done by a designer.

Personally, I don't like to see people go out and try to copy someone's style - adapt and go with something similar would be better...
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Almokla
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Trevster
      1. They're using vBAdvanced as a portal over there so you may want to look into that.

2. They've either edited the style themselves or downloaded/bought one/paid for it to be done by a designer.

Personally, I don't like to see people go out and try to copy someone's style - adapt and go with something similar would be better...
      thanks for the lnk

I don't mind going with something similar, but my knowledge is almost zeroin customizing the forum, I'm not even sure I can do the same!

Comment

• josh2007
        • May 2009
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Almokla
        thanks for the lnk

I don't mind going with something similar, but my knowledge is almost zeroin customizing the forum, I'm not even sure I can do the same!

Here is the link to vbAdvanced like he mentioned above. As far as i understand you would add this like you would any other addon.

Comment

• mkernel
          • Mar 2005
          • 3.8.x

If you don't have much knowledge in being able to change your forum's style, you'll have a long road ahead of you, even if you were trying to duplicate someone else's forum. Trying to reverse-engineer a forum when all you can see is the html output will be tough.

I think your better option is going to be buy a vbulletin skin that comes close to what you want, or hire someone to create a skin for you, or maybe do both. You can probably buy a skin for $20-50, and then might be able to get it modified for a hundred or so more, depending on what you want done.

Comment

• Almokla
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by mkernel
            If you don't have much knowledge in being able to change your forum's style, you'll have a long road ahead of you, even if you were trying to duplicate someone else's forum. Trying to reverse-engineer a forum when all you can see is the html output will be tough.

I think your better option is going to be buy a vbulletin skin that comes close to what you want, or hire someone to create a skin for you, or maybe do both. You can probably buy a skin for $20-50, and then might be able to get it modified for a hundred or so more, depending on what you want done.

I see..

I think I should wait for VB 4 then now that it's coming out this year (correct me if I'm wrong)

Comment

• mkernel
              • Mar 2005
              • 3.8.x

I haven't dug much into what vB4 is going to offer, other than CSS-based layouts, which I'm a huge proponent of.

And I have a hard time believing they will bring total customization down to the lowest common denominator - actually, I really hope they don't. There are few barriers to entry in having a forum site, and not being able to code a good theme is one of them. I'd just as soon that that stays more difficult.

But even with vB4, you'll still need to know CSS - and how to make your beautiful layouts backwards compatible with IE6, which doesn't like to follow the same rules as every other browser.

As for waiting until vB4 comes out - I'd say that's fine if you already have a forum up and running - but if you're waiting to launch, my advice would be not to. Back in December 2002 I was advised by many to wait until vB3 came out, because it was so close to being released and was so much better than 2.2.9. Twelve months later, I was happily running my 2.2.9 and 3.0 had yet to be released to the masses. I'd have lost twelve months if I'd have waited.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...