X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayfenney
    • Jan 2009
    • 3.8.x

Featured Threads in Header

I run a small sci-fi related CGI forum. I've been looking for a way to duplicate a feature found on both www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/ and forums.cgsociety.org/

Specifically, I'm talking about the featured threads thumbnails that they have displayed near the top of the page. I've been able to create something similar using the notices system in vBulletin and just changing where the notices are shown, but the downsides being a) I have to manually upload each thumnail and put all the html in myself b) I'm the only admin so I'm the only one who can edit the featured threads, I'd like my mods to be able to do it as well c) obviously it messes with my actual notices.

So what I'm asking basically is if there's a mod out there that does this "properly," if not how easy would it be to make one or at least is there a way to create a secondary notices system (as in just copy the whole notices function) so I could separate it from my actual notices.
  • Arkham
    • Mar 2001
    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by jayfenney
    I run a small sci-fi related CGI forum. I've been looking for a way to duplicate a feature found on both www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/ and forums.cgsociety.org/

Specifically, I'm talking about the featured threads thumbnails that they have displayed near the top of the page. I've been able to create something similar using the notices system in vBulletin and just changing where the notices are shown, but the downsides being a) I have to manually upload each thumnail and put all the html in myself b) I'm the only admin so I'm the only one who can edit the featured threads, I'd like my mods to be able to do it as well c) obviously it messes with my actual notices.

So what I'm asking basically is if there's a mod out there that does this "properly," if not how easy would it be to make one or at least is there a way to create a secondary notices system (as in just copy the whole notices function) so I could separate it from my actual notices.
    The simplest way would be to use vBadvanced CMPS. Check out their forums and product demos for more info.

You could theoretically create a new page layout that had a top-center box and use a Featured Thread module (either the News or Recent Thread module adjusted to display a specific thread).

This is a third-party product though, so you should explore this option via their site, or look at existing mods on vBulletin.org.

Good Luck!

Comment

• jayfenney
      • Jan 2009
      • 3.8.x

Thanks for getting back to me Arkham.

I use vBa already on my forum, but I've never had a proper look at customising it so I wouldn't have a clue where to start with this. But using this method would I be able to actually have the featured threads show on forumhome rather than just within vBa?

I have already checked vb.org a number of times but I can't find anything that would perform this function. Any other ideas?

Comment

• napy8gen
        • Jul 2001
        • 6.X

I think you need this.

but its for 3.6.8
        you need to contact its author for newer version. fortunately she still active in vbulletin.org
        Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• jayfenney
          • Jan 2009
          • 3.8.x

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it still isn't really what I'm after. I'm not looking for anything that shows a text description or title or anything like that, just simply shows a thumbnail from the chosen thread and links to that thread. This, if anything, offers too much to be honest.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...