What's the best way to replace a few gifs with custom made png images?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • veenuisthebest
    • Mar 2008
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by napy8gen
    I am not using PNG as it is not good in IE6. Still if using IE6, your forum old look jaggy also your welcome image.But who cares, I think now users with ie6 is not that many.
    But When I go to this survey statistic , IE6 users are 17% from 1.5 billion users? I think they are still many.
    I know about those stats. Really can't help those who are still on IE6.

I have 5 browsers installed anytime that includes IE8, FF, Safari, Chrome, Opera. Site works good on all of them. Can't think of downgrading my IE to 6 now.

Comment

• napy8gen
      • Jul 2001
      • 6.X

Hi Veenu.
      I'm not using IE6 myself. But as a web designer I still have to look backwards.
      I am using this browser to test: http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage
      It has 5 Internet Explorer versions in it.
      Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• veenuisthebest
        • Mar 2008
        • 3.8.x

And I use browsershots.org

If you used that software to test my site for IE6, then I guess it returned wrong results. My site does work fine on IE6 as seen on browsershots. For PNG's, I am using pngfix.js for IE6 which works great.

Comment

• eJM
          • Sep 2004
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by napy8gen
          I visited your [The Floor Pro] forum.
          Now I believed it. I see the forum_old is gif. But when viewed its property it says type is PNG, and when I saved it, it saved as PNG but it will lose its alpha tranparency and behaved like a gif. But it works. thats the important thing .. so how you renamed it? in the FTP like above post?
          Yes. I uploaded the files to the server via FTP and then renamed the files. I use WS_FTP 12.

By the way, you were the designer of my forum's original theme 3 years ago. I used your design (I heavily modified it, but it was still your concept) until October 2008. You did a beautiful job and there were zero validation errors. You also helped me with my questions and gave me guidance. Quality designers are hard to come by and you are near the top of the list. I spent almost a year designing my own theme and I wanted it to be just as good as the quality of work you are known for. It's a difficult task and I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your skills and talent. Thank you.

R'gards,

Jim
          If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
          www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

It should be noted that renaming images like this could be considered a security risk and will not work on all browsers. In fact, this can be disabled on IE8 under a high security installation.

There is actually an addon at www.vbulletin.org called NoMoreGIFS that would be the easiest and correct way to do this without editing templates. It does use mod_rewrite but that shouldn't be a problem these days unless you're on Windows Hosting. What the code does is check to see if the GIF image exists, if it does not, then it will rewrite the request to automatically load a PNG image. If your site has a slow request time this would increase page loads but for most purposes you will not notice.

If you are using IIS and don't have access to mod_rewrite, then you should upgrade to IIS7 and install the URL Rewrite extension. It gives similar capabilities and is fairly easy to setup.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• napy8gen
              • Jul 2001
              • 6.X

Originally posted by eJM
              By the way, you were the designer of my forum's original theme 3 years ago. I used your design (I heavily modified it, but it was still your concept) until October 2008. You did a beautiful job and there were zero validation errors. You also helped me with my questions and gave me guidance. Quality designers are hard to come by and you are near the top of the list. I spent almost a year designing my own theme and I wanted it to be just as good as the quality of work you are known for. It's a difficult task and I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your skills and talent. Thank you.
              I'm flattered with your kind words Jim.
              Actually I do remember you. :-) Your forum now really rocks! absolutely amazing concept and design.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              It should be noted that renaming images like this could be considered a security risk and will not work on all browsers. In fact, this can be disabled on IE8 under a high security installation.

There is actually an addon at www.vbulletin.org called NoMoreGIFS that would be the easiest and correct way to do this without editing templates. It does use mod_rewrite but that shouldn't be a problem these days unless you're on Windows Hosting. What the code does is check to see if the GIF image exists, if it does not, then it will rewrite the request to automatically load a PNG image. If your site has a slow request time this would increase page loads but for most purposes you will not notice.
              Thank you Wayne. It is very good timely reminder and useful direction on the add on :-)
              Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...