Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussiefooty
    • Nov 2008
    • 6.0.X

If you need a banner for your forum then yes it is necessary. However, if you don't have it then programs like Paint that you have already on your computer is ok as well.
    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Baba Wawa
      • Feb 2009
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MsJacquiiC
      . . .

@ Baba Wawa - Ms Shelley has attempted to get me to work with PhotoShop LOL - Alas, I am too stubborn and stuck in my ways. As she says though - she had used PhotoImpact in the past and recommends it as an option. So if you're truly interested and serious about creating your own graphics - it's a wonderful place to begin. A $69.99 investment is not so bad right :P - Also - Gimp and Inkscape are wonderful free alternatives, as she mentions.

Good luck with it and I'm glad our comments are of help to ya
      JacquiiC,

Thank you for your consideration of my limited means. And yes, y'all have been very helpful!

Comment

• Baba Wawa
        • Feb 2009
        • 3.8.x

Shelley,

It's sounding like Inkscape is a major contender. And that type and amount of support are, and should be, major factors in making this decision. Thanks so much for your info and advice.

Originally posted by shelley_c
        I use Photoshop to modify/create construct my images and styls and have done for many years now. Is it necessary to use this package? Absolutely not? There are free alternatives out there for the user who is new to graphics editing, it depends what graphics software suits you.

The thinking I have always went by is the software is only as good as the person using it. Thegimp is a nice alternative, it's free and will do most basic stuff that photoshop can do enough to allow creation/modification of any graphics you are wanting to work with. Inkscape is another powerful software and again it's free. Many illustrators have turned to this package instead of adobe Illustrator and the great thing is, it's ivery well supported and tutorials are in abundance.

Photoshop elements will allow you to do whatever photoshop will allow you to do in the creation of graphics or maybe you wish to re-colour existing images but either way I would advise at looking at the free alternatives as they will serve you well and will not leave you out of pocket because they are free.

For me, I eventually moved onto photoshop after using photoimpact for a few years and photoshop paid for itself on the first job i did. Save your money, the free alternatives will give you what you need for what you want to do and accomplish.

edit: As far as I know the gimp will allow you to import psd files. It's a very well supported software and as with inkscape their are plenty of tutorials/guides to assist you and allow you to understand what the program is all about and what it can do to help you create graphics.

Comment

• Baba Wawa
          • Feb 2009
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          I use a combination of GIMP (though I hate the interface), Paint.net and Inkscape. I love both Inkscape and Paint.net. Nice Interfaces and decent enough features. Inkscape has better support than Paint.net. Inkscape should also gain EPS support this year as its an approved Google Summer of Code activity.

What ever you do, do not install the "PSD addon" for Paint.net. It doesn't work and can cause serious problems on your computer.
          Wayne, thank you for all this info. Support should certainly be a major factor for me. Also, the tip on avoiding the PSD addon is probably priceless - it would seem like such a logical thing to download. Now, armed with your advice, I will know to avoid it.

Comment

• Baba Wawa
            • Feb 2009
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by shelley_c
            Here is a link (for the OP) to the .EPS format which wayne luke is speaking of. The .EPS file format overview.
            What does OP mean? I took a brief look at the link, but still have no real idea what .EPS is all about. (Will it matter to someone like myself who will always remain an amateur?)

Comment

• shelley_c
              • Jun 2006
              • 3.8.x

OP - Original post aka threadstarter.

EPS format - Probably not, I thought I'd post the link regardless as the majority of people will not know what wayne was referring to when he stated that inkscape will gain eps support.
              vBImageworks.com - Free Premade custom Smiley sets, Button Sets, Ranks and more...

Comment

• Baba Wawa
                • Feb 2009
                • 3.8.x

Shelley, thank you once more.

Comment

• napy8gen
                  • Jul 2001
                  • 6.X

Hi all,
                  You can try Aviary from the creator(Avi Muchnick) of worth1000 photoshop community.

They invented this tool for those without photoshop.
                  Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• Mister Kravitz
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by napy8gen
                    Hi all,
                    You can try Aviary from the creator(Avi Muchnick) of worth1000 photoshop community.

They invented this tool for those without photoshop.
                    Thanks for that link. I'd never heard of it before, and it's a nice application.

Comment

• Mister Kravitz
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Baba Wawa
                      Shelley, thank you once more.
                      Have you had any luck with any of the programs suggested?

Comment

• Baba Wawa
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 3.8.x

Hi, Mr. Kravitz.

I looked at each of the programs mentioned. Some I could not use because I want to do my editing on an oldish laptop that did not meet the system requirements of the programs. What I did finally was to download the Gimp, because of its documentation, support forum and low cost. hehe

I haven't gotten too far in using it, but I'm hopeful for the future.

It was great to receive so many replies from such well-informed people, and I remain grateful for all the advice given.

How about you - what do you use?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...