X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snyx
    • Aug 2000
    • 3.5.x

Cool DHTML Menu Ideas!

Well I couldnt post it in Hints & Tips, so I will here! I saw the menu on jmcneese board and thought it worked well with vB. So im posting some links to some menus that I think would look cool on a vB. I may atempt some myself, well, when I have time!

A cool menu bar that automatically slides open from the left edge of the screen onmouseover.

A compact links menu with left and right scroll buttons to reveal additional portions of the menu on demand.

Most work for IE6 (I tested) and they claim to work for NS6 (I don't care) so I donno, just some ideas. Plus there are TONS more at DynamicDrive.com so be sure to check them out too. Well its party night, so time I peel my face off my screen, and have some fun (as if coding isnt!)

snyx

PS! If you work any of these in, show me, I love to see what little details people can work into there sites (Im no ripper, just a looker)
    Last edited by snyx; Sat 1 Sep '01, 11:57am.
    MSN: [email protected] | MAIL: [email protected] | FOLIO: mholman.com
  • ozone2000
    • Jun 2001

great idea!!!

Comment

• ToraTora!
      • May 2001

i actually used most of those at one time or another. Here are the problems associated with the use of those menus.

When set up correctly, there are no error issues, just annoyance issues.

1) the side scroller (snyx's first example) tend to get in the way when posting. It is a neat little menu, however, when you really start adding things to it, you have to make sure that you keep the width and height within line. I had added close to 20 some different addys in there, which caused it to stretch. Of course there are settings for this, but once again, if you have something at the top left corner, right, or middle (depending on how you set it up) it will get in the way.

2) the top menu is one that i actually went with, after a great deal of time and complaints filed by users on the side scroller. The biggest problem of this menu, is of course it being at top. To get to your browser functions such as "back", "forward", email, refresh..etc.. it tends to get in the way, because you have to litterally go over the menu, to of course get at your browser. Also, once in a great while, one of the drop downs will "stick" down.
      The basic thing i learned with the top menu, is if you want to have it less annoying, work with the speed settings, and keep it above your forums with a few <br>'s otherwise it clouds over the new replies, new posts....etc..(anything in the top header area basically) and renders your header areas useless, because there is no way of getting at them.

All and all, the menus are really slick, and the options of adding images into the drop downs, or boxes makes it a easy choice to go with.
      Of course, keep in mind that it is not supported by all browsers either, so make sure that you have a couple of styles set for browsers that support this and that, and one style for browsers that do not support jack squat. *cough* nutscrape *cough*

Comment

• Thomas P
        • Apr 2001

Thanks snyx!
        Most work with IE>4, N4.7x and N>6.0
        Great stuff,
        -Tom
        www.MCSEboard.de
        German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

• Ruth
          • Apr 2001

Web Design Builders for any kind of CSS Menu,Javascript Menu,Drop-Down Menu,Modal Window,Slider,Scroller,Tooltip,Accordion, etc. with jQuery

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Simply the best cross-browser DHTML menu available. Check out the examples for a few of the things this one script can do.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

For some reason that one doesn't work as well for me as HierMenus - http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/hiermenus/

Comment

• ToraTora!
                • May 2001

Thanks guys, Both definitely nice sites. Bookmarked both of them for possible future use.

Comment

• RonsShadow
                  • Jul 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Thanks for the reminder...

... and the cool menus. I have been meaning to add some javascript to give a right-click menu to my board. For those times when you are in the middle of the page and simply want to go see who's online or go check out some web links or something. Well I used one from the examples Synx provided. Only works in IE5 and NS6.1 or up. But that is fine with me as well .

You can check it out at MythPortal

Thanks again Synx

Comment

• snyx
                    • Aug 2000
                    • 3.5.x

thanks everyone, hope some people get some ideas out of it

Comment

• FWC
                      • Jul 2001

PS! If you work any of these in, show me, I love to see what little details people can work into there sites (Im no ripper, just a looker)
                      I added that left menu to our foruims. We had added a left navigation column at one point, but people complained about the "scrunched" board. I added the DHTML one last night and people love it. It even works in Netscrape 4.7!

Thanks for the tip on the site, Snyx.
                      FWC
                      White Sox Interactive Forums

Comment

• esoin
                        • Feb 2001

Hey.. which top menu did you use? I used one of them from dynamicdrive.com and it worked out good except for one thing. If you resize the window, it refresh the whole page. Meaning, if you typing something up in a "new thread" form, and re size, you can say goodbye to what you just typed. Any idea how to fix this? Thx

eso

Originally posted by ToraTora!
                        i actually used most of those at one time or another. Here are the problems associated with the use of those menus.

When set up correctly, there are no error issues, just annoyance issues.

1) the side scroller (snyx's first example) tend to get in the way when posting. It is a neat little menu, however, when you really start adding things to it, you have to make sure that you keep the width and height within line. I had added close to 20 some different addys in there, which caused it to stretch. Of course there are settings for this, but once again, if you have something at the top left corner, right, or middle (depending on how you set it up) it will get in the way.

2) the top menu is one that i actually went with, after a great deal of time and complaints filed by users on the side scroller. The biggest problem of this menu, is of course it being at top. To get to your browser functions such as "back", "forward", email, refresh..etc.. it tends to get in the way, because you have to litterally go over the menu, to of course get at your browser. Also, once in a great while, one of the drop downs will "stick" down.
                        The basic thing i learned with the top menu, is if you want to have it less annoying, work with the speed settings, and keep it above your forums with a few <br>'s otherwise it clouds over the new replies, new posts....etc..(anything in the top header area basically) and renders your header areas useless, because there is no way of getting at them.

All and all, the menus are really slick, and the options of adding images into the drop downs, or boxes makes it a easy choice to go with.
                        Of course, keep in mind that it is not supported by all browsers either, so make sure that you have a couple of styles set for browsers that support this and that, and one style for browsers that do not support jack squat. *cough* nutscrape *cough*
                        My vB Forum @ www.GopedNation.com

Comment

• veedee
                          • Sep 2000
                          • 1.1.x

mine rocks

Talking loud but aint saying nothing.

Comment

• esoin
                            • Feb 2001

Originally posted by veedee
                            mine rocks

Woow! Very nice... which script is that one?

eso
                            My vB Forum @ www.GopedNation.com

Comment

• snyx
                              • Aug 2000
                              • 3.5.x

I worked a SMALL dropdown menu into my forums. (www.form-kaos.com) click the userCP or members to see it, its IE only, so if you have NS its like normal

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...