Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiser_Sose
    • Jul 2000

confused - how to change the visual layout

I will be using the vbulletin but am confused on the proper way to change the the layout of the forums.

TenTenths Motorsport Forum. Thousands of users, OVER 3 million posts on motorsport around the world. NASCAR, Formula 1, CART, IRL, A1 GP, you'll find them all at Ten-Tenths.

Above are some examples of what I mean. Obviosly the layout of these forums home page is not the default install one. They must have changed something. The part that I am confused on is template vs. graphics and styles.

Thus, how do you know when to use a template or style and which one there after. Can anyone tell me which templates or style to change if I want to visually layout a board like one of the above

If I am getting this properly, you design something in lets say a wysiwyg html editor with graphics, tables, and basically what ever you want and then import the html into one of the templates. Am I on the right track.

What are the main templates and styles to change

Eventhough the ubb is easier to set up than the vbulletin I do prefer to use the later because it is more flexible in the long run. I wish there was a tutorial site for these topics like there are for photoshop and paint shop pro.

• George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

well i am about to do a custom layout too, along the lines of http://fanforum.com layout

what i am going to do is use wysiwyg editor, macromedia dreamweaver and go into each template copy and paste a copy into dw and save it locally on my computer.

then i am just going to alter the template to look the way i want it slowly changing it and testing it. of course i could design the look i want first and try to get all the template stuff included, but then i could run into the error of leaving something out and that' ain't good

then i am just copying and pasting it back into the online version.

i just setup a private testing version of my forum for me to mess around with and learn all the template locations and stuff... so i won't be messing with my working forum until i mastered the test version

of course if someone has a list of what all templates do, that would be most appreciated
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Kaiser_Sose
      • Jul 2000

>of course if someone has a list of what all templates do, that would be most appreciated <

That would be awesome if someone did have a list of what all templates do, maybe that is something for the authors of vbulletin could supply, I mean it would only be fair.

>what i am going to do is use wysiwyg editor, macromedia dreamweaver and go into each template copy and paste a copy into dw and save it locally on my computer.<

That is a good idea. But the only template that I see that will provide you with anything to really take a look at in a wysiwyg editor is the head insert, header, and footer templates. I know there are tones of others but they are in a copletely different part of the control panel. Thus, really understanding what they do is difficult to the first timer vbulletiner.

Taking a closer look at the control panel I see there are templates in the OPTIONS > CHANGE STYLE and in Replacement variable > Modify and in the Templates > Edit

I dont even know where to begin to change the visual layout of the main forum page as I think there are only a few temolates that direct that but alot of templates that affect the internal parts of the forum

Comment

• Menno
        • Apr 2000

The discription of all the templates can be found in the online manual
        - Insert viable disclaimer here -

ArtBeast!

Comment

• Dode
          • Jul 2000

how can i copy template from site to another site ?
          what is the file name stored the templates in ?

Comment

• thetakerfan
            • Jun 2000

there is no file, its in the MySQL DB, so you have to do it that way, which I think can only be done with telnet. I've tried with phpMyAdmin and not had any luck, even posted at their boards and got no reponse

Comment

• Dode
              • Jul 2000

Originally posted by thetakerfan
              there is no file, its in the MySQL DB, so you have to do it that way, which I think can only be done with telnet. I've tried with phpMyAdmin and not had any luck, even posted at their boards and got no reponse

Um ..

so can i change the Templates before installation ?

Comment

• thetakerfan
                • Jun 2000

not really
                so far I haven't seen any easy way to move templates only from one server to another, I had to copy and paste all the templates, which wasn't very fun. It didn't really take very long though, 10 minutes max

Comment

• Tim Mousel
                  • May 2000

Hi,

You can easily move the templates from one server to another using phpMyAdmin.

Tim
                  Five Star Review Script - Add reviews to your website!
                  Mixed Martial Arts - Houston MMA Training
                  Women's Self-Defense - Courses and DVDs available

Comment

• thetakerfan
                    • Jun 2000

how exactly did you do this?
                    I have not been succesfull, and from what I saw at the support forums over there, other people were also unable to move only one specific table
                    then again, I haven't been to the boards in awhile for a fix, or gotten the newest version.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • Apr 2000
                      • 3.6.x

Dump the whole DB and just edit the dump to the table you need (it's pretty well doc'ed)

Comment

• Dode
                        • Jul 2000

Dear thetakerfan

you can change Templates before installion , by change installtemplate.php

thank's

Comment

• thetakerfan
                          • Jun 2000

I knew about that, but I thought it was more complicated than copy and paste, I didn't really look at it
                          you don't have to escape alot of things?

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

interesting i am going to take alook into that template
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• thetakerfan
                              • Jun 2000

Ed-If you have a big board, couldn't dumping the entire DB take awhile? Wouldn't being able to dump just the templates table be alot faster?
                              Thats what I'm trying to do

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...