X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter Griffin
    • Jun 2006
    • 3.5.x

Tutorials on how to create your own Skin

Just wondering if anyone can recommend to me a tutorial for developing your own template from scratch. Thank you.
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

Depending on how much modification you want to make, you can find a lot of information in the online manual.
    Things like the color maps will help you adjust the style easily.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• smackLAN
      • Mar 2005
      • 3.8.x

There are some good tutorials over at www.vbulletin.org
      RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

• php4ever
        • Mar 2005

No there isn't

Jared
        http://www.jaredritchey.com/

Comment

• Robert Vassallo
          • May 2008

Was wondering the same thing...

Originally posted by Colin F
          Depending on how much modification you want to make, you can find a lot of information in the online manual.

I am checking now, thank you. Have to start some where.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

The biggest things you need to learn first are html and css, after you're fairly familiar with it, learning the template system is alot easier. There is no one stop shop on how to make a tutorail on how to make a style. Every designer does it differently, my methods are not your methods, the way i chose to code an element may not be the same way you want to.

Learn HTML, Learn CSS, then come back and try to work with the template system. The best way to learn to make your own skin is to devleop the abilities that are required to do it.

Comment

• Hyncharas
              • Nov 2009
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Zachery
              The biggest things you need to learn first are html and css, after you're fairly familiar with it, learning the template system is alot easier. There is no one stop shop on how to make a tutorail on how to make a style. Every designer does it differently, my methods are not your methods, the way i chose to code an element may not be the same way you want to.

Learn HTML, Learn CSS, then come back and try to work with the template system. The best way to learn to make your own skin is to devleop the abilities that are required to do it.
              I've made a couple of themes before with vBulletin, but it's been over a year since I used it.

When I'm back to working with it effectively I'll make a full set of tutorials for people; including those wanting to make sets for vBStyles.
              Hyncharas - AKA Simon Spencer
              Clan Draconus Lupus - Kicking ass for over a decade (8yr Veteran)
              SG-VirtualSeries.com (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

Comment

• Hyncharas
                • Nov 2009
                • 4.0.x

I don't think I've ever encountered a more annoying tool. I don't mind the Style Generator, but there are a couple of issues with it; one being that the "Fine Tune" area isn't good enough. A flaw of most style creators have (and vB's new system, apparently) is that they force the overall font colour of the forums to be identical to the background, so when you try to read this information, you have absolutely no idea what it says! I still see this a lot on 3.7-3.8 builds and its appauling that admins have to sift through what can sometimes be hundreds of lines of code trying to find the right setting... I am using version 4.0.5.

You should be able to configure the text and link colours to be different. One option to do this might be a button on the generator labelled "Advanced", providing users with a warning about editing those colour settings. There should also be a way of editing an existing themes created in the generator - I just tried that on ones I created earlier twice and found it was impossible to do this, forcing me to start over.

Although I will be unavailable between the start to mid-August, I would be happy to betatest these changes in functionality for the generator after that, before implementation.
                Last edited by Hyncharas; Thu 22 Jul '10, 1:02pm.
                Hyncharas - AKA Simon Spencer
                Clan Draconus Lupus - Kicking ass for over a decade (8yr Veteran)
                SG-VirtualSeries.com (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

Comment

• Lampoon
                  • Oct 2009

I want to add a new button on top... like the HOME button or FORUM button
                  but one that says YOUR POSTS link and a NEW POSTS link there....
                  Maybe a shortcut to ACTIVE TOPICS.

I have 4.0.5

Is there a tutorial around for just that???

Comment

• Gri
                    • Feb 2004

Is there a specific tutorial for this kind of customizing?

Comment

• beishe8
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Colin F
                      Unfortunately the link is not working:

The page you're looking for could not be found or does not exist.

Are you looking for help with one of these versions of vBulletin instead?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Avros
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Lampoon
                        I want to add a new button on top... like the HOME button or FORUM button
                        but one that says YOUR POSTS link and a NEW POSTS link there....
                        Maybe a shortcut to ACTIVE TOPICS.

I have 4.0.5

Is there a tutorial around for just that???
                        You can create a new button by accessing your 'AdminCP' then scroll down to the 'Plugins & Products', once you have opened it you will click on the 'Plugin Manager'. When the 'Plugin System' window opens scroll all the way to the bottom. There you will see the 'Add New Plugin'.

On the next window 'Add New Plugin' you will be presented with some options, you only need to concern yourself with the 'Hook Location' and the 'Plugin PHP Code'.

1. Within the 'Hook Location' scroll down to 'process_templates_complete' select this.
                        2. In the 'Title' just give it a name that you will be able to remember when you wish to edit this later.
                        3. Now move on to the 'Plugin PHP Code' and then enter the following exactly.

Code:
                        $template_hook['navtab_end'] .= '<li'.$tabselected.'>
                        <a class="navtab" href="[COLOR=#ff0000]http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/.../index.php[/COLOR]"> [COLOR=#ff0000]button name here[/COLOR] </a> '.$tablinks.'</li>' ;
                        Change the information in red to one you wish to link to beit a gallery or special category, it can also be used to link to a sister site. I hope this is of use to you and anyone else wishing to create a button.

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Thank you...though, the post you replied to is more than two years old.

I'll close this thread now, anyone needing help with any styling issues is welcome to start a thread.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...