Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trog
    • Feb 2001

Look here to see how to integrate java chat into VB

I have seen lots of requests for hacks on this and people going about things using scripts, when all it really needs is a new set of templates. I can't believe no-one else has done this (or have they?!)

First of all, download your default style, then import it in as a new style and rename it to Chat. You also need some chat html code, and there are plenty of free ones out there, but you really need one that starts automatically. There is a free one at www.conferenceroom.com, but I have just bought jPilot which is great and so configurable. Find it at www.jpilot.com

Go along to either site and scoop the html. Then, in your chat template, you need to edit forumdisplay. What you do is basically scoop out the middle and insert the chat html.

Get rid of:

$forumdisplay[forumslist]
    $forumdisplay[threadslist]
    and also the <icon key> and <forum rules> bits and generally dress it up how you want. Then it simply a matter of pasting in the code. You need other stuff from jpilot to be uploaded to your site. You also need to register ($50) if you don't want "Unregistered Copy" coming up every time you send a line. Mine looks a bit like this:

<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%" align="center">
    <tr>
    <td align="center" valign="top">
    <applet name="jchat" codebase="../jIRC" archive="http://www.yourdomain/jirc_nss.zip" code="Chat.class"
    width=700 height=400>

<param name="CABBASE" value="http://www.yourdomain/jirc_mss.cab">

<param name="ServerPort" value="6667">
    <param name="ServerName1" value="irc.webmaster.com">

<param name="Channel1" value="ChitterChatter">

<param name="AllowURL" value="true">
    <param name="AllowIdentd" value="true">

<param name="WelcomeMessage" value="Welcome to chat">
    <param name="RealName" value="">
    <param name="NickName" value="abc_{$bbuserinfo[username]}">
    <param name="UserName" value="">
    <param name="isLimitedServers" value="true">
    <param name="isLimitedChannels" value="true">

<param name="IgnoreMOTD" value="true">

<param name="DisplayConfigNick" value="false">
    <param name="DisplayConfigNickPass" value="false">
    <param name="DisplayConfigChannel" value="true">
    <param name="DisplayChannelPass" value="false">
    <param name="DisplayConfigRealName" value="false">
    <param name="DisplayConfigServer" value="false">
    <param name="DisplayConfigPort" value="false">
    <param name="DisplayConfigMisc" value="false">

<param name="BackgroundColor" value="99,132,181">
    <param name="TextColor" value="black">
    <param name="TextScreenColor" value="white">
    <param name="ListTextColor" value="blue">

<param name="TextFontName" value="Arial">
    <param name="TextFontSize" value="12">

<param name="LogoBgColor" value="white">
    <param name="BorderVsp" value="5">
    <param name="DirectStart" value="true">

<param name="FGColor" value="black">

<param name="InputTextColor" value="black">
    <param name="InputScreenColor" value="white">
    <param name="TitleBackgroundColor" value="black">
    <param name="TitleForegroundColor" value="white">

<param name="IgnoreServerMsg" value="true">
    <param name="IgnoreModeMsg" value="true">
    <param name="AcceptCommands" value="false">

<param name="FieldNameChannel" value="Choose a room:">
    <param name="FieldNameConnectNow" value="Connect">
    <param name="FieldNameTitleTopic" value="">
    <param name="FieldNameConfig" value="Change room">
    </applet>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

And that's it! You can choose any irc server and just make sure the channel you use is unique (or tap into your favourite one). The highlighted bits are important. To make sure your users log on with a unique name, I added abc_, and they will automatically log in as their board name, so I would go in as abc_Trog. Using this method seem to solve the problem of spaces, so Joe Bloggs would be abc_Joe_Bloggs.

Once thats done, you need to set up a new forum and simply set it to use the Chat style and there you have it. I have mine set as a locked forum so that that none of the posting buttons appear but you could always edit the other templates in Chat. I have also set the permissions so anyone not registered or they are logged out cannot see the Chat Forum. I have also removed the Log Out button in the header so they can't log out once they are in the forum.

JPilot is so flexible, you can have it set up so your users have as much or as little control as you want. You do have to pay, but $50 is worth it. I cannot show a demo because my board is private, but believe me, it works a treat.

Have fun
  • Rosevalley
    • Jan 2001

nice one mate TNX !!!
    Its working super (with vbb 2.0final)

tnx

Comment

• Trog
      • Feb 2001

Bump

Just bumping this back up for those that missed it

Comment

• Martz
        • Apr 2001

I can't believe I missed this post! This works great, I use IRC nornally and this has to be the easiest way to integrate vB with real time chat.

I was using an announcment in a forum as the chat page, so I could include the html is a non-html forum.

Thanks a lot, very very simple, but incredibly usefull
        HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
        -
        Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

• Jisung
          • Oct 2000

I would like to have a list of Active users in chat room in forumhome.
          Can this hack do it? if not, any way to do it?
          If this can, I will buy jpilot right away.

Thanks!

Comment

• Martz
            • Apr 2001

jpilot and your website do not actually make the socket connection to IRC, it just provides an interface for you to do it from your browser and you internet connection. If you wanted to have the active users in any part of vB - this would require a bot (such as an eggdrop) to be setup and to relay the channel and/or server information to your host, and this would then need to be coded into vB.

The amount of work and resources needed for such a small result wouldn't be worth it imho. Most web hosts do not allow users to run eggdrops anyway - so the scope of this hack would be limited to a few people.

I currently run jPilot, and an eggdrop bot (from a different host) and I am still trying to put togther the structure for this to work. If I get any further with it, I'll be sure to let you know
            -

Comment

• etones
              • Sep 2000

maybe someone shouldrelease it and put a copy in the hacks forum
              http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

• kicks
                • Oct 2000

Martz: maybe it would be easier to install the who's online hack that let's you see where the people are that view your forum. Then hack around that to pull those that are on the chat page into another area. Maybe I'm just sleepy and the idea sounds like it makes sense

Comment

• Essam
                  • Aug 2000
                  • 4.1.x

But there is a problem with international charecters in user names. It won't work with irc.

Comment

• Martz
                    • Apr 2001

Originally posted by kicks
                    Martz: maybe it would be easier to install the who's online hack that let's you see where the people are that view your forum. Then hack around that to pull those that are on the chat page into another area. Maybe I'm just sleepy and the idea sounds like it makes sense
                    I've already thought about this, however some of our users use mIRC - a windows IRC client for those of you that don't know. This means people do not have to use the java console and the figures would be inaccurate. I know that most of my IRC users use mIRC instead of the java client, It would say "Currently on-line in chat: 0 users" when they would in actual fact be say, 7-8 people.

Originally posted by Essam
                    But there is a problem with international charecters in user names. It won't work with irc.
                    Thats all down to the IRC server you are connecting too and the restrictions in their software.

This is still a great feature for any website, and I may zip it up into a hack if Trog doesn't object or beat me too it
                    -

Comment

• Trog
                      • Feb 2001

Feel free to do what you want. I put this here to throw it open to the public. If you incorporate it in a hack though, a courtesy mention would be nice

Comment

• kicks
                        • Oct 2000

I use mirc too, but wasn't sure about your userbase

Comment

• Mega
                          • Apr 2001

Can antone post JPilots jIRC?
                          The site is F***** UP, cant download it there

Comment

• chilliboy
                            • Jun 2001

Hi,

I assume this involve having a java applet on your server? (Sorry to appear dumb but I'm not up on how all these chat facilities work). If this is the case I unfortunately can't do so as my host (hostrocket) don't allow applets.

If it does require an applet (therefore I can't do it) - can anyone recommend so other decent options - remotely hosted chats etc.

I've been asked buy several people to set a chat room up so I'm trying to find out more.

Cheers

Comment

• Martz
                              • Apr 2001

They dont allow applets? I've never heard of a web host not allowing them before - afaik, it doesn't put anymore load on the server as all the work is dont server side. jPilot works by using the clients (person browsing your forums) connection to establish the connection to IRC, and doesn't have anything to do with your webhost. The good thing about this is that the connections come from the clients IP address - so your host doesn't become susceptable to attacks, DoS etc by the script kiddies out there.

I'd look up the rules and regulations proplerly, If java applets were somehow disabled, I would seriously look for a new host.
                              -

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...