Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • horrordvds.com
    • Feb 2001

New to skinning. Have a question.

I'm a little confused about skinning. I want to start doing it, but I'm worried if I create a bunch of skins for myself, I'm going to have a lot of work to do when I start adding hacks. In some of the hacks I use, template modifications are required. Aren't templates tied to a specific style only? And if that's the case, if a hack I use requires a template modification, I would have to do it for each and every style I have?

Thanks.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

It depends, having a bunch of styles will give users a choice and make them happy and yes it will be some work, however if done right, you can limit the ammount of work that is nessary by using the new built in parrent child system in vBulletin 3 style manager, if your not using vB3, rather vB2 the same is still possible, just not at the same level of customiztion.

Before you start make a new style, lets name it Parrent Style

Now, your going to add all new styles, as a child of the "Parrent Style"

this creates a parrent child relationship, anything done to the parrent style flows down to the child styles, unless the child style has it already customized.

Parrent
    - Child A
    -- Child of Child A
    - Child B
    - Child C

Lets say for Child of Child a, you customize a specific template, any changes made above it to the same template,(child a or parrent) wont effect it.

so its ideal to make all your changes to the Parrent style when possible thus making as little work for you as possible.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...