• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin Mortensen
    • Mar 2011
    • 4.1.x

Charset problems with Danish translation og vB 4.1.4

Hi.

I've started a vBulletin 4.1.4 translation project, to create my own Danish translation. But I've run in to some problems from the start.

I'm using a MySQL database with utf-8 (“utf8_general_ci” according to phpmyadmin), and did a standard installation of vBulletin forum on this database.

After the install, I go to the admincp and create a new language, setting the "HTML Character Set" to "utf-8" (also tried "utf8", "utf8_general_ci", and the default "ISO-8859-1").

No matter what I set the charset to, I'm unable to add the Danish special letters "æøå" to my translation, and if I do, the sentence will stop when it hits the special letter.

Example:

“Add as Friend” in Danish is "Tilføj som ven", but after I save this, the translation is shown as "Tilf" and nothing more.

I'm not that in to databases and charsets yet, so I might just be forgetting something simple, but what?

Hope someone can help me along, so I can start on my translation.

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Martin
  • Anders P
    • Feb 2002

Hi Martin

I have been doing translation to Swedish since even before version 3.x.
    For version 4.x I started a new site and thus made sure to have the database in utf8.
    I never had any problem with it when inserting swedish characters åäö.

So I wonder why you have this problem.

Were are you doing the tranlation?
    I normally use this: Admin CP -> Language & Phrases -> Phrase Manager
    Then I can easily see if all phrases are translated or not. (I of course always look up where a phrase is used in order to translate in the right context).

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson
    Don't send me requests by PM to email you the Swedish language file that I have done. My translation is only available here at vbulletin.com to licensed users.
    If you want updates on when a new version of the Swedish language packs (forum & suite) are available, subscribe to this discussion.
    Don't PM me for support on how to install language files etc. please post in the appropriate forum, that will most likely give you help quicker.

Comment

• Martin Mortensen
      • Mar 2011
      • 4.1.x

Hi Anders.

I'm using the "Admin CP > Language & Phrases -> Language Manager > Edit / Translate" option.

Just tried to do it in the Phrase Manager, but same thing happens.

Maybe I should try a diffrent MySQL server, might be my own server that has some kind of error.

In the meanwhile, if anyone has a possible solution, please don't hesitate to post

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...