Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikki
    • Feb 2004

Forum Titles Getting Cut Off

Having an odd problem with forum titles that I can't sort out. I'm trying to create a couple Russian forums, but when I enter the Russian title using Russian characters, the titles get truncated and an ampersand "&" gets inserted on the end. When I change it to a long English title, it works fine. I tried it before I installed a Russian language pack and after with the same results.

Can anyone help?
  • Mikki
    • Feb 2004

Some additional info....

The affected titles are truncated after the 16th character. I have gone thru all of my vB settings and forum settings, trying to find an issue. For instance, I disabled the censorship options with no effect. I tried this on another site, one with no language packs installed, with the same result.

I also tried the same phrase in a tread title and in a post, and it shows up fine, so this only affects forum titles. Done all possible Google searches I could think of and found zero.

I don't feel this is a language pack issue anymore, altho it is obviously a language....or character issue. Could I maybe get my thread moved to the 3.6 Troubleshooting forum please?

Comment

• Mikki
      • Feb 2004

I believe I've sorted this, using THIS THREAD as a guide. One of my names is still too long, but the others are displaying correctly now, so I'm not going to complain. I can always ask for a shorter title, at least now I think I know what the problem was.

Comment

• Mikki
        • Feb 2004

I hate being one of THOSE people.....I really do.

Still having problems with this. Even after using the above mentioned query, our forum titles are still getting truncated. They are longer, but are still truncated. And I was wrong about the thread titles, they are getting truncated in there as well.

Sorry to be a pain.

You can go HERE to have a look at what I'm talking about.

Could someone please move this thread to the 3.6 Troubleshooting forum?

Cheers....

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

This is more appropriate in this forum.

How long is the title? Can you post it here so we can test it?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

N/M: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...46#post1542846

I believe this is because the title field is limited to 100 characters in the database and each Russian character actually occupies four characters space. You would have to manually edit the 'title' field in the forum and thread tables and change varchar(100) to something higher.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mikki
              • Feb 2004

Thanks for verifying that Steve, I'll look into that....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...