• Show
Clear All
  • nxvc
    Banned
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.7.x

Russian language pack - need help to convert it to utf-8

Hello,

I really need your help. Somehow, I can't convert the russian language into utf-8. With all other languages it worked well, only with the russian language I got problems, because after converting, the boardlanguage looks like:

So, please, could someone do me the favor and convert the both xml files in the attached zip file into correct utf-8 and reupload?
    Would be really nice, because I tried already everything without success.
    Attached Files
  • badran
    • May 2007
    • 3.6.x

Did you try to save it as a UTF-8 file using notepad++ ??

Comment

• nxvc
      Banned
      • Oct 2007
      • 3.7.x

Yes I already did try this. I think the problem is, that when I open the xml files, there are no kyrillic characters, saving it to utf-8 doesnt change something, it just causes that after upload it to the forum, the russian language is completly destroyed.

In the format (windows-1251) like it is actually, the people which have set the board language to russian can see everything correct, but the people with other utf-8 languages see their messages destroyed or in question marks or in other strange characters.

I assume, that the zip archives aren't utf-8 kompatible, so maybe I would need an unzipped xml file. (and when I open this file, I need to see the kyrillic characters, at the moment I see this
      Attached Files

Comment

• Andy Huang
        • Feb 2004

Attached is the language in UTF-8 encoding, and with UTF-8 defined as character set. As I do not understand Russian, all I can say is, I see the characters using UTF-8 encoding now, but I don't know if they are correct or wrong, so I cannot guarentee it will work.

When importing, please be sure to find this line in ./includes/class_xml.php:
        Code:
        function &parse($encoding = 'ISO-8859-1', $emptydata = true)
        And replace it with:
        Code:
        function &parse($encoding = 'UTF-8', $emptydata = true)
        After you're done importing, be sure to head over to Admin CP > Languages & Phrases > Language Manager, edit the language, and make sure "HTML Character Set" is set to "UTF-8". It is also STRONGLY recommended that you have ALL your languages in UTF-8, so there is no encoding problems between users using different languages.

Hope that helps
        Attached Files
        Best Regards,
        Andy Huang

Comment

• nxvc
          Banned
          • Oct 2007
          • 3.7.x

Thank you Andy, your attached file works great! I knew you can handle it! =)

Also, Mr. König from German Support team provided me this tool to batch the files if they arent UTF-8, the tool also works great: http://www.melody-soft.com/html/unifier.html

Perhaps you'll need it someday too

Comment

• Andy Huang
            • Feb 2004

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I usually need to edit a few more things (such as the html charset for the language files which I did for you in the attached) while I'm at it, so I might as well open them up and do them manually. Thanks for the tip though, it may come in handy in the future when I need to convert lots of files on the fly
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

• Makc666
              • Jan 2005
              • 3.8.x

As I see there is no need to convert any Russian language in UTF-8.
              This is totally wrong.
              You just have to set you default English language to UTF-8 and then upload your Russian language.

Instructions given above for changing ./includes/class_xml.php is unnecessary.
              ...... sigpic ...... "А стукачков мы не любим!"

My Modification: Quote Post in PM - passes to new personal message (PM) post's text, username, etc.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...