• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • we_scooter
    • Aug 2002
    • 3.7.x

UTF-8 or cp1256 which is better

hi
    I am supporting several ARABIC forums and i found that after moving to 3.5.x up to 3.6.x that forums are increasing the databases spacee on the servers and the size is getting so huge more than before(old versions of VB).. so I was testing some DB converting tools by some good coders been posted at swalif.com forums and changing to cp1256 caused a lot of difference in size for the DB,,, so I am wondering is this a good practice , since it downsized the DB size up to 40% of the original size ... !! please advize .
    we_scooter
    Every mistake you make, you will live with the rest of your life.
    ...................................(Kevin Spacy) \ K-PAX/
  • Chousho
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.8.x

I'm not sure how Arabic is, but I can give you some advice in general.

Unicode settings save the text as however many bytes are required. For instance, Latin characters only take up 1 byte just as they do in any other encoding, but more complex characters take up anywhere between 1 to 4.

Depending on what language, your database can be 1 to 4 times what it normally would compared to a database specifically for that language (at least hypothetically).

So if you're specifying your board for a particular language, set the encoding for that. If you have a site that may have various languages that would go beyond one certain encoding, go for unicode.

Also, if you're changing your database, you might have to convert it to the desired encoding. I've been suggested iconv, but I can't get it to work completely with my server, so maybe you'll have better luck.

Comment

• Mr-Mo3ath
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.6.x

latin1 its good
      I request you to enter and give me your views and arise on the following topics:-

Comment

• we_scooter
        • Aug 2002
        • 3.7.x

well I have read more about this and it seems that adjusting the DB to match ur language is the best way and hence converting it to ur encoding by converters...

cuz It reveals a big difference in space consumption
        Every mistake you make, you will live with the rest of your life.
        ...................................(Kevin Spacy) \ K-PAX/

Comment