X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • renep
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

New Dutch Translation in the works

As discussed in the Dutch Language Pack discussion thread (now closed), I've decided to hire a professional translator to create a new and improved Dutch language pack. This will be an alternative to the current Dutch Language Pack, which IMO has too many quality issues. But let's not get in a debate about that: it's the result of much appreciated volunteer work.

The translator is Ysolde Bentvelsen (Alacer). For one of my sites, she translated "Steve's Primer of Practical Persuasion and Influence" from English to Dutch in 2004.

To save costs, we've decided to translate only the public frontend, not the control and moderator panels. Most Dutch admins probably prefer the original English terminology anyway.

The work will be done in july of this year. The translation is sponsored by my company Applinet and will be made available, free of charge, to all licensed users of vBulletin (you'll be requested to credit the sponsor and translator in your colophon or 'about' page). I'll announce it in this thread. We'll collect feedback in august, and if needed, improvements will be made in september.

So we should have a bright new Dutch Language Pack by mid-september 2006
    Great news!
    67.47%
    Duh, you should translate the admin and mod panels as well.
    19.28%
    The current Dutch language pack suits me fine.
    7.23%
    vB on my Dutch forum is in English.
    6.02%
    Last edited by renep; Tue 25 Apr '06, 11:45pm. Reason: changed link to specific page about the translation project
    "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
    - Edsger Dijkstra
  • Grover
    • May 2001
    • 3.8.x

Fantastic news!

Dear Rene,

Glad to see someone acknowledging the quality issues of the current pack and actually doing something about it. Ofcourse we all appreciate the previous efforts being made, but in the end we need good results.

So I am very, very interested to find out which results we get to see in september 2006 from this much anticipated project.

Like I replied before, I think it's a very good decision to not translate the backend of VBulletin : that was one of my (many) frustrations of the previous translation. Ofcourse most dutch admins prefer the original english terminology : you are absolutely right about that. So you're not only saving costs...it saves us from further frustration also.

Oh, I haven't got a colophon or 'about' page on my site yet, but when I do (when the Jelsoft CMS finally arrives....) I will be glad to credit your company and your translator there. I am certainly not a professional on the Dutch language, but when your pack arrives in August I will try to provide you with some feedback.

Again, I applaud you for taking this project on. I have been using VBulletin for almost 5 (!) years now and I was never able to offer my visitors a proper Dutch Language Pack. It's fantastic news that we can expect a professional translation in september this year!

Thank you for sponsoring this and keep up the good work : it's very much appreciated!
    How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Grover
      • May 2001
      • 3.8.x

Translated buttons.

Hi René,

Will you also provide the VBulletin buttons in Dutch with your Language Pack?

Comment

• renep
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Grover
        Will you also provide the VBulletin buttons in Dutch with your Language Pack?
        I'm afraid not Grover. My sites have a custom style with their own buttons. Perhaps someone else wants to contribute buttons is the default style(s).
        "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
        - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Grover
          • May 2001
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by renep
          I'm afraid not Grover. My sites have a custom style with their own buttons. Perhaps someone else wants to contribute buttons is the default style(s).
          No problem, René. It's just a few buttons that contain text, so I will be able to change them myself -using the VB SDK- following the dutch translation you are going to use on the different terms.

(Hopefully VB 4.0 will come with an improved button-set, but that's a whole different story...)

Comment

• evibe
            • Feb 2006
            • 3.5.x

Do you perhaps have an exact date for the release of this pack?

Comment

• Grover
              • May 2001
              • 3.8.x

3.6?

The work will be done in july of this year. (...) We'll collect feedback in august, and if needed, improvements will be made in september.

So we should have a bright new Dutch Language Pack by mid-september 2006
              Hi Rene,

Since VB 3.6 beta1 will probably be released for download in July also, will you aim your translation at VB 3.6 or the VB 3.5 series?

Comment

• renep
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.8.x

will you aim your translation at VB 3.6 or the VB 3.5 series?
                Dunno, I've only just become aware of VB3.6. It'll depend on the release date, upgradability, the amount of changes in the (front-end) translatables and so on.

I am looking forward to upgrading my forums to 3.6, particularly because of the RSS robot poster. That's on my wishlist for quite some time
                - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                  • Apr 2003
                  • 3.6.x

As said before, I wanted to help translating but if it's done the 'professional'-way that's great!

Is this languagepack 3.6.0 compatible? .. Oops, I just read it .
                  Anyway; I hope so.. Otherwise I should translate little things my own.

It's ok with me that the backend is still English. Most manuals and advisories ar in English so there's, for me, no use of a Dutch CP. (but they should seperate it I guess..).

Anyway; if it's done I want to donate some money for it. Don't forget the PayPal .
                  http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                  The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

• Wynand
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 3.6.x

I am glad hear that there will be an other language pack. But, please, do not will translate the control panels; you just would not understand a thing of it, in English is that much more understandable.

btw, if you still need any help to translate, i can do some of it
                    It's not the fall that kills you— it's the sudden stop at the end.
                    Learn from the mistakes of others, because you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wynand
                      I am glad hear that there will be an other language pack. But, please, do not will translate the control panels; you just would not understand a thing of it, in English is that much more understandable.

btw, if you still need any help to translate, i can do some of it
                      I also offered to help but it's done professional .
                      http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                      The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

• Grover
                        • May 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Dunno, I've only just become aware of VB3.6. It'll depend on the release date, upgradability, the amount of changes in the (front-end) translatables and so on.

I am looking forward to upgrading my forums to 3.6, particularly because of the RSS robot poster. That's on my wishlist for quite some time
                        Alright, thanks for your reply. Since you've stated that the translation-work will start in July, maybe it will be possible for your translator to aim her work on VB 3.6, since it is now (June) released for download as a beta version?

Comment

• Sore Eyes
                          • Jul 2005
                          • 3.6.x

Hi all,

I want to stress that I'm still interested in the translation of the front end.

If I can contribute anyhow, please let me know!

Comment

• renep
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Since you've stated that the translation-work will start in July, maybe it will be possible for your translator to aim her work on VB 3.6, since it is now (June) released for download as a beta version?
                            Do you have any idea of the consequences?

If we translate 3.5 I assume it will be relatively easy to upgrade to 3.6. There aren't going to be many new texts on the front end, are there?

OTOH, if we use 3.6, people who are stuck on 3.5 for a while may not be able to use the new translation.

As we say in Dutch: what's wisdom? Why do you think it's so important to use 3.6 for this project?
                            - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Sore Eyes
                              • Jul 2005
                              • 3.6.x

René,

I took a look: downloaded the 3.5.3 and the 3.6 vbulletin- language.xml files, nearly all accounted for by the upgrade to 3.6 (only minor differences between 3.5.3 and 3.5.4)

Because the layout and the order of the files differ, I had to hack them a little, and sort them in order to compare them.

Then I used winmerge (winmerge.sourceforge.net) to compare them, and I found an impressive number of differences.

So, what is wisdom?

I don't know, but it IS a real decision.

If you want details, let me know!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...