X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AllCdnBoy
    • May 2003
    • 4.1.x

Germany & English

I'm not sure if this should go into the bug section, but something screwy happened and i'm very new to vB3 ... I've installed a german version as the default (from vbulletin-germany, v.3.0.0) and then did the upgrade to 3.0.1 from vbulletin.com but replaced the language packs with german so they wouldn't overwrite the german.
    Next, I imported the Du version and then an English version from the 3.0.1 pack (changing the <language name...> so not to overwrite the german) ... this all worked just fine after a few tries ... but here's the problem:

when i go into usercp and change my profile language from the default German to English the whole site gets inverted from left -> right ... side menus, order of menu, header, everything ... what happened and how can i fix it?
    Student Scholarships
    English Forums: bodybuilding.fitness.com | weight-loss.fitness.com | training.fitness.com
    Others: theragear.com | store.fitness.com | fitness.com | Sissel.com |
    Fitness.com Spanish | German | French | Italian
  • orca
    • Mar 2001
    • 5.5.x

No idea what happened. But the language shouldn't change the layout as this is done by the templates. The phrases are as variables in the templates. It's may a better idea to ask at vbulletin Germany.
    Ueli

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

You should NEVER import anything but the default language file from vBulletin.com, once you do import it you are free to disable it and set another default in the language manager.

Comment

• AllCdnBoy
        • May 2003
        • 4.1.x

what do u mean? how else do i add other languages then? if i want to add English to a german forum, what am i supposed to do? manually, i think not.
        .. my first impression that there is some setting that is making the language read like it's Arabic or some language that read right->left ...
        Student Scholarships
        English Forums: bodybuilding.fitness.com | weight-loss.fitness.com | training.fitness.com

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

You should add a language in the AdminCP . not replace a language pack for vBulletins Default one.

Comment

• AllCdnBoy
            • May 2003
            • 4.1.x

sorry, i must have not explained myself clearly ... that is what i did ... the only minipulating that i did was this (as i have accounts on both sites - english and german)

upgrade 3.0.0 -> 3.0.1
            - repaced the 3 xml files for the 3.0.0 german ones during the upgrade because there is not an upgrade available on vbulletin-germany as of yet

import of english
            - i didn't know where to get an english version of the xml file, so i took one from one of the vb3 downloads and made changes to the start of the file from:
            <language name="MASTER LANGUAGE" vbversion="3.0.1" type="master">
            to:
            <language name="English (US)" vbversion="3.0.1" type="custom">
            otherwise it writes over the default German one ... that's all i did, and now the English template is all backwards ... does this make more sense?
            Student Scholarships

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Thats probaly why,

See, you replaced the xml files with the german ones, you NEED vB 3.0.1 XML FILES NOT 3.0.0

You should NEVER edit or modify the master style / settings / language files. only import a second language AFTER the upgrade / install

Comment

• AllCdnBoy
                • May 2003
                • 4.1.x

hmm, well that sucks ... i'm screwed then ... german vB is only at phase 3.0.0, so there are no XML files that are updated, so i can't run the upgrade script from the English site ... and the only XML's that are now available in English is 3.0.1
                Student Scholarships

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

You can reimport the English language with tools.php form the DO_NOT_UPLOAD folder,

put it into your admincp directory and use it to reimpor the master language file.

if it works REMOVE tools.php

Once done ADD the German langage file via the Language Manager in the ACP.

Comment

• AllCdnBoy
                    • May 2003
                    • 4.1.x

nope, same ass-backwards site ... oh well ... time for a fresh install and try from there
                    Student Scholarships

Comment

• AllCdnBoy
                      • May 2003
                      • 4.1.x

well, for whatever reason (difference in versions, maybe) the english version was reading from right->left when installing into the german 3.0.0 ... and, there just happens to be an option to change that ... silly-me, i didn't know ... so, it's all fixed. Thanks for the help guys.
                      Student Scholarships

Comment

• Bulent Tekcan
                        • Feb 2003
                        • 4.2.x

If I upload a master language.....my phrases settings change or not ??

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          Former Customer Support Manager
                          • Jul 2000

No, this will not overwrite your custom phrases or language.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Pogo
                            • May 2001

Originally posted by AllCdnBoy
                            well, for whatever reason (difference in versions, maybe) the english version was reading from right->left when installing into the german 3.0.0 ... and, there just happens to be an option to change that ... silly-me, i didn't know ... so, it's all fixed. Thanks for the help guys.
                            No, this is because there are no default settings in the master vbulletin-language.xml file.

Just compare the beginning of the master vbulletin-language.xml and the vbulletin-language-de-du.xml.

So when importing a master file as a custom one the option setting is set to 0 which means right-to-left.
                            this is my sig

Comment